Self-defense in the movies

There’s a new movie out The Art of Self-Defense that reminds me of a grown-up version of The Karate Kid. I haven’t seen it yet, Rotten Tomatoes described it as:

After he’s attacked on the street at night by a roving motorcycle gang, timid bookkeeper Casey (Jesse Eisenberg) joins a neighborhood karate studio to learn how to protect himself. Under the watchful eye of a charismatic instructor, Sensei (Alessandro Nivola), and hardcore brown belt Anna (Imogen Poots), Casey gains a newfound sense of confidence for the first time in his life. But when he attends Sensei’s mysterious night classes, he discovers a sinister world of fraternity, brutality and hyper-masculinity, presenting a journey that places him squarely in the sights of his enigmatic new mentor. Audacious and offbeat, The Art of Self-Defense is an original dark comedy that takes toxic masculinity to absurd extremes.

Have you seen it? Will you see it? Does it hurt or help the view of self-defense?

2 Likes

Have not seen it and don’t plan on it. Some will use it to denounce “self defense” but more appropriately sounds like vigilante justice.

1 Like

Haven’t seen it yet… probably will, sometime… not rush…
For me, none of “action”, “violence”, “self-defense” movies change my behavior or thinking.
But sometimes such movie can show situations you could not expect…

2 Likes

… which covers about 75% of the action movies produced today.

I enjoy many of those for the entertainment value, and I don’t take any of them as a guide to how I should behave. Any more than I take romantic comedies as a guide to how I should behave.

I’ll probably see it, if it comes out on DVD at a lower than blockbuster price.

3 Likes

That is true. And most of the actors are the anti gun Hollywood elite.
I’ll wait for it on Netflix.

3 Likes

Well, dang, there goes my plan to drive my lawnmower under my wife’s window, while holding a boombox over my head.

See I need some serious brownie points. I’ve been saving for a year to get the Sig pistol carbine called “The Rattler”. In .300 Blackout with a red dot sight.

Want it for my car gun.

3 Likes

Ha! Just know your woman… we’re all suckers for SOMEthing :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for this movie tip; I’ve not seen it yet. The following film made me think to be more prepared for it felt all to real, depicting a what if scenario of an economic, resource or utility mass disaster: “The Blackout” (2014)

Well, here is the story at IMDB.

No, it does neither, it is just a movie, has nothing to do with self-defense nor reality.