S&W Shield EZ may fire on its own, may also fire full auto on its own

"Smith & Wesson has identified two M&P Shield EZ Pistols on which the hammers manufactured by our supplier were cracked. In those firearms, the hammer failed to fully engage the sear, causing the round to fire, cycling the slide, and potentially resulting in multiple discharges without depressing the trigger. This issue can occur in the following two scenarios:​

With a loaded magazine in the firearm and the grip safety depressed, releasing the slide (by pulling it back, or releasing the slide stop), may ignite the round as the slide closes, without engaging the trigger. The condition may occur, regardless of the manual thumb safety position if equipped. This may also result in multiple discharges.

With a loaded magazine in the firearm, the grip safety depressed, manual safety in the fire position, slide closed, and a round in the chamber, pulling the trigger will cause the round to fire normally, however as the slide cycles, the next round may be ignited as it is chambered by the hammer failing to fully engage the sear, causing multiple discharges."

12 Likes

oohf, definitely get that one back to the manufacturer! I don’t have one, but I do know someone that does. I will definitely coordinate with them on this recall. Thanks!

6 Likes

Thanks for the info. I need to make a phone call too. :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Jesus wept.

All pro 2A needs right now is another reason for gun grabbers

4 Likes

I thought every weapon was fire tested before released for sales my 2 XD45’s had a fired brass in the case

4 Likes

This doesn’t seem to be something that is guaranteed to happen every time a round is chambered or a round is fired.

4 Likes

Hopefully Biden won’t catch wind of this cause then he’ll say Automatic Assault Handguns are being manufactured then he’ll BAN ALL ASSAULT HANDGUNS WEAPONS. :flushed: :worried: :sob:

6 Likes

Hmmm machine gun, I need this

6 Likes

F-ups happen. As much as we wish everything would be perfect all the time, it’s not. This is another reason firearm safety is so important. I don’t think it’ll be used as fuel for a gun ban campaign… they’ve had more than a fair share of opportunities if that’s the case. No manufacturing process is perfect, and to expect one to be is unreasonable. Cars have tsb’s and recalls continuously, phones catch on fire, brand new tires fly apart… hell, two ply toilet paper comes apart all the time. I haven’t seen anyone go on an airbag banning campaign. Every manufactured item in history, at some point, has had some kind of defect or malfunction. Why should firearms be different? Mistakes are part of innovation.

8 Likes

Yes that is correct,and it is up to the manufacture to issue nation recalls ti solve the problem,and to contact the ones that had the problem and find out what they were doing when the issue happened,as for me that is why I prefer the thumb safety,I am not saying the thumb safety will not malfunction,but have had no problems with them so far

3 Likes

The only pistols I’ve had with thumb safeties are 1911’s. 1911 are fantastic, but there is no shortage of firearms with no thumb safety or grip safety that are excellent as well. My M2.0 is one of those. Never had a problem with it… I suppose Glocks can be decent as well, but I won’t be the one to say it. That said, Glocks haven’t changed much over the years, so take what you want from that.

3 Likes

well,all the pistols have thumb safeties on them,it is just natural when drawing for my thumb to be on top of the safety and the trigger finger on the slide,that is the way i have drawn for years

3 Likes

Yeah. Couple years ago. Pulled mag out of S&W 9 for cleaning…and it popped off a round in the basement. Round hit a stack of blankets. Whi h was super awesome. Cleaned it. Sold/traded it within a week. Old combat soldier. Never carry a firearm you cant trust.

5 Likes

“A safety is a mechanical device which can fail.”

Welcome to the community!

6 Likes

Yeah. Working AFG awhile back. Before we bolted. Gave up…whatever. Germans had a store on base. Peeps could buy parts to make their pistols full auto. I didnt do it. 1. Full auto pistol? Nope. Stupid. 2. ATF would figure that out. Also stupid. ATF visiting the house? With handcuffs?

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Jeffrey305

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Jeffrey305 and you are in the right place at the right time.

6 Likes