Running FMJ through a firearm before using JHP's

I like that. The fewer the variables, the better.

That is a good point, but often only applies to people with red dots. Very few carry guns have elevation adjustable iron sights, which is what will change with bullet weight/velocity, so it’s more like check your defense ammo to make sure it has a good poi vs poa and if elevation is off too much, use a different ammo

2 Likes

Good point on the sights. It still points out to check the ammo, and firearm as 1 tool. One does no good without the other.

3 Likes

Yes, and this is another reason not to mix multiple types of ammo in one’s magazine.

2 Likes

Maybe unless you are testing a new firearm?

I meant, some folks interchange FMJ and JHP rounds in their magazine. You can find at least one recent topic about it.

2 Likes

People are carrying FMJ’s interchangeably for self defense?
Or just for going to the range?

1 Like

For self defense.
IMO, unless you are defending your B17 from Luftwaffe fighters, don’t load like this. Other people had other opinions.

Wow. Do you remember their justification?

Failure to expand from one round, mitigated by increased penetration from the next. Like I said, inconsistency in recoil alone should dissuade you. I encourage you to look up the thread.

Doesn’t sound like a good plan to me, but I’m just a newbie…

Failure to expand IS increased penetration. That’s how that works

2 Likes

You are right. Maybe I need to review that old thread, for the logic behind mixing ammo types.