FMJ vs. HOLLOW POINT - CONCEAL CARRY

I pack Hornady Critical Duty (9mm) in my P365 EDC, and Federal FMJ (.40) in my back up Glock 23. Curious if anyone else has a similar setup or situation.

3 Likes

I can see the possible use for FMJ in a self defense situation but I just carry an extra mag with FMJ. Never know if I’ll have to shoot a wild beast attacking me.

6 Likes

Hornady Critical duty for 9 mm and .45.
P365XL and 1911

6 Likes

Likewise I carry FMJs for my .40 just incase anything might creep up on me or pop out requiring a lil more “umph”

2 Likes

Critical Duty .45, I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of those, and got to love a good ole 1911.

4 Likes

Hollow Point only as EDC. First and backup magazine.

I don’t see any reason to keep FMJ on me… I’m wondering how others can manage two different bullet types in dynamic / stressful / self defense situations… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

16 Likes

Hornady 9mm

3 Likes

I’m with you on the hollow points 1st and backup mag thats what I carry too, but the Glock 23 is my “travel” bag secondary which I load 1st/2nd mag with FMJ for any just incase situations.

3 Likes

I carry Hornady critical duty and also in my backup mags. If I decide to carry any of my Ruger LCPs in my pocket the are loaded with the 380 auto Hornady also.

3 Likes

Glad you mentioned it bc I didn’t even realize it came in 380. Is it difficult to find? (besides the shortage)

2 Likes

@G.Washington at this point in time those are hard to find in any stores. Try online.

3 Likes

I’m wondering what “just in case situation” might be? If you carry another handgun which probably will gonna be used in “just in case” situation…why risk over penetration with FMJ bullets?

6 Likes

FMJs for practice/break-in only - matched-weight self-defense for home and carry. I prefer heavyweight bullet loads, and expansion versus penetration. I find ballistics tests such as Lucky Gunner’s most instructive.

6 Likes

We recommend hollow points for self-defense situations as there is less risk of a bullet going through the attacker and hitting an innocent behind them. However, in some places (ahem, NJ) hollow points have huge restrictions.

The only reason I would personally carry FMJ is if I couldn’t find hollow points anywhere, but I haven’t had that issue yet. I’ve given close family and friends enough hollow points for them to carry when they couldn’t find any on the shelves and their carry ammo was older than they’d like it to be.

Here are two blog posts about ammo that are awesome for newer shooters (who might be lurking here and not posting):
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/frequently-asked-questions-about-ammo-part-1/

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/faqs-about-ammo-part-2/

10 Likes

Didn’t see anyone mention bullet weights. If you’re carrying 230 grain HP’s, you should be training with 230 grain bullets. My preferred carry is Hornady XTP’s 124 grain for 9mm and 230 grain .45

5 Likes

Sig sells ammo directly through their website. The last time I checked, they had no 9mm FMJ in stock, but JHP seems to be almost always available.

3 Likes

My preferred JHP is Winchester Ranger 147gr 9mm. 1 good reason IMO, it’s what all the police in the town of my gun shop buys…

If its good enough for the police, it’s good enough for me…

Only FMJ that gets loaded is at the range where I unload the JHP and after target shooting, reload the JHP, usually leave a spare mag with JHP just to have a mag of it on hand.

Do have a couple 33rd glock mags with FMJ loaded to the side beside the AR9/Ruger PC Carbine.

3 Likes

For personal defence - JHP only, no P+.
I think it is acceptable to use FMJ for lower calibers, like .380 or .32, because of known expansion issues.

3 Likes

I want to clarify my reasons for having FMJ. It’s a sort of SHTF last ditch option. In a normal self defense scenario I would only use hollow points. But we do have wild beasts in my neighborhood. Lots. The chances of needing FMJ is vey low.

So I carry grenades along with claymore mines to setup a defense position just in case it becomes necessary. I also have access to FDC to call for artillery support. Smoke grenades for concealment and signaling. Never know when I need air support so I keep drones ready at a moments notice. The California governor doesn’t have anything over me.

Okay, I may have exaggerated a bit but I do like having access the FMJ for strategic purposes should it ever be a special situation. After all I carry a knife that I’m not likely to use. Now if a self defense situation call for a knife because I don’t want to bring a gun to a knife fight because it’s just not fair to the assailant. :wink:

4 Likes

Taught back in scouts to “be prepared” so I’ve always took that to mean for any situation anytime. If I’m on my land in Houma, LA and a 10ft alligator comes out bayou to visit. I no longer see over penetration as a risk.

4 Likes