Running FMJ through a firearm before using JHP's

I guess there’s always the chance that I didn’t understand him correctly, but pretty sure that’s what he said.

You got there before I changed my tune, having not seen your FTE to FTF correction.

1 Like

My dyslexia kicked in and I read it as FGM (female genital mutilation) and JHP. Tossed me for a loop there for a second, :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Hmmm. :sweat_smile:

It doesn’t fix anything. It just eliminate occurrence of multiple problems if they show up.
Some firearms require “break-in” period - that’s the way to break it in. Don’t put extra stress on firearm’s action, everything has to be smooth and FMJ bullet guarantees that smoothness.
If firearm doesn’t require “break-in” period… I still urge people to shoot FMJ for the first few hundred rounds before using all other ammo. Even there is no “break-in” for firearm, there is a period when shooter must become comfortable with the tool. So again, there is no reason to put extra stress on the shooter to learn new firearm. All should be easy and smooth. Once the shooter finds the firearm to be good and reliable - that’s the time to test other ammo.

2 Likes

Smart… :ok_hand:
It’s better to spend more time using hands (400 grit, 800 grit, 1200 grit sand paper and finally Flitz paste on microfiber cloth) than make single mistake with rotary tool.
Sometimes people don’t care… but pistol is really precise machine and it’s good idea to use precise work on it.

2 Likes

Are you kiddin? Not taking any tools to that ramp… I’ll let the FMJ’s do the work. It’s a brand new Glock, and I am not a gunsmith! (Besides, that’d be like putting extra stress on the shooter :wink:)

1 Like

My 9mm Keltec Sub2k was broken in with 200 rounds of 147 grain fmj. It has not had a malfunction with any weight since the 1st magazine. I usually run at least 50 heavy for caliber fmj through any new pistols. Preferably more. I always clean and lube 1st. If it wont run them send it back.

1 Like

Key word is “polishing the ramp” since it might be gritty on the ramp.

3 Likes

oh… Glock you say… :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
Yes… FMJ is just the best tool to polish feed ramp in the barrel. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m kidding of course. A lot of pistols don’t require anything. Just load whatever you like and shoot.
And I’m guessing, Glock is a great example of such tool. It has good tolerance and it usually eats any ammo right out off the box.

But sometimes people are expecting the same from other manufacturers and find the firearm not reliable… because it doesn’t shoot certain ammo or there’s a problem with reloads, or 15rds magazine doesn’t hold 15 rds… :scream: :thinking: :rofl:

So in such cases… I fully understand why Instructor can say the things you heard.

1 Like

I’m champing at the bit. When I went to shoot my Glock after the first class, it jammed after the first round. Cleared it and went to shoot again, fired the shot and jammed again. This went on for five tries, then I shut down the practice because something was obviously wrong. Next day, I took it to a gunsmith. he could barely get the backplate off, and couldn’t get a pin to come out. He tried everything he could, but couldn’t get this pin (which usually falls out he said) to come out. He got the backplate back on as far as he could, and told me to send it back to Glock.

I was heartbroken, having just bought my first (supposedly reliable, in fact renowned for it) Glock and it had an issue.

I sat at the table looking at the instrument. What could possibly be wrong with it?

As I marveled at the beauty of it’s lines, It suddenly became glaringly clear to me what the problem was.

Because this was my first SD weapon, I didn’t want to add the optic myself. Instead, I took the optic, adapter plate and included screws to a gunsmith who mounted it for me, even though it was something I could have done myself. To make a long story short(er), the gunsmith had neglected to use the screws that had been included with the adapter plate, one of which was about 1mm shorter than the OEM screw.

I loosened the screw that I thought was causing the problem and LOW & BEHOLD, the back plate snapped closed with no problem. I borrowed 10 dummy bullets from my brother, filled a mag, and racked the slide until they had all cycled. Did this for 5 magazines, no problem ejecting!

So now, I am eager to “polish my feed ramp” at the local range, but it closed for the holiday until Tuesday! I can’t catch a break!

4 Likes

This is consistent with my experience.

1 Like

It’s time to look for a new gunsmith.
The gunsmith who installed the optic should have caught it.

Bubba gunsmithing can get you killed.

4 Likes

2nd gunsmith never got to the optic, but question his troubleshooting skills.
1st gunsmith just didn’t follow the directions as supplied.

4 Likes

This exactly. I always do fmj first because they are generally easier to feed, and cheaper. If it isn’t reliable on those I’m fixing or selling it. If it is then I’ll spend for the jhp. I do use stronger fmj initially though, like Speer lawman especially the 115gr as it’s the hottest of them, to help it out. But then I do WHO with jhp to be sure

4 Likes

This right here. I’m of the opinion it’s less about breaking in a new pistol, and more about being proficient with something you trust your life to.

3 Likes

If it is a Glock you can run 50 or so rounds to check basic operation and be happy with it. Some handguns are built with tight tolerances and do need 250-300 cycles before they run perfectly. Glocks and similar ones are built with loose tolerances.

2 Likes

Story time.

I bought a Glock 30sf. I shot 100 fmj then I used a 50 round box of jhp, fired 29 of them and kept the 21 for two mags +1.

Stupidly, I carried it that way. Next range trip, I shot the magazine I’d been carrying. Had two failures to return to battery. Started working on the next box, another failure. This was win Ranger +P. Then I tried federal HST. Another ftrtb.

Sent it to Glock. Got it back they said it was OK. I could feel it was the same, but I spent the money to tets with jhp anyway. 98th round of hst it ftrtb again. Sent it back to glock and requested a G21SF instead. Shot great and perfect no problems

Did it not chamber the round completely, or was the slide stuck all the way back? I had the latter with the Shield 9

Also remember, due to slight variations in Ammo manufacturing, just because your sights are on with X brand Ammo, doesn’t mean they will be the same with Y brand Ammo. Set your sights with your carry ammo. Especially if your using standard pressure vs +p, or different weight bullets.

4 Likes