Ruger Security Pistols

Has anyone any pros or cons on Ruger’s “Security” lines of pistols? I’ve seen nothing but good reviews on these, especially on the .380, with its optional 10- and 15-round magazines, and internal hammer design.

2 Likes

I’ve had my Ruger Security 9, now for 3 years, and go to my local range weekly and have no issues with it. I would recommend it .

7 Likes

Welcome to the community @Mark801

I don’t have any experience with their Security line. I have owned all three versions of their LCP line at one time or another. The LCP 2 I got was a lemon that I had to send in to be fixed. They replaced almost everything but the frame and it worked great after that. The LCP 1 and LCP Max worked perfectly right out of the box.

3 Likes

Had mine now for 3 years, not one problem great gun !!

3 Likes

Seem affordable and I’ve seen good reviews.

2 Likes

The Security 9 is a great choice. Big enough to be not too small while being small enough to be not too big. Can be CC’d in a number of ways, is very reliable, and shoots well and accurately (meaning it holds “minute-of-bad guy” groups to any reasonable distance.)

Another advantage is that it shares ammo and magazines with the Ruger PC-9 making it a good ‘load out’ combination.

Try one out; I think you’ll like it.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Mark801 and you are in the right place at the right time.

3 Likes

I Have had a security 380 for around 6 months now and in shooting I find it to be a great firearm. Easy to use and easy to rack. Great fit for a iwb holster. it uses the same mag as a security 9 with a insert to take the 380 ammos. Would recommend to anyone. Thanks

3 Likes

I haven’t tried a 380 yet, or any Ruger but o like the reviews on them. I think I prefer 9mm. Deciding if I want a security 9. Like I said. Reasonable price with a quality firearm is the ticket.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Larry325

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother @Larry325 and we are glad you are with us.

2 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

I found that the Security 380 did not work with a Pink Rhino laser cartridge. The same cartridge was fine in a Max-9. I’m not sure how the hammer (or other internals) differ between these two pistols, but with the .380 the laser is always on (not how the laser is supposed to work). Other than that oddity, the pistol has been enjoyed by two new shooters. Agree with @Larry325 that it’s easy to rack and is a good size for my husband as EDC. I disassembled and cleaned, you do need a flat tool to pull a pin (something that is a bit unique to Ruger?)

2 Likes

If you have the pink rhino laser cartridge in 9mm for your max 9 I would expect it to be too long to work properly in a .380. You will need to get a .380 version.

1 Like

Walther pk380 is similar with the flat tool to pull the pin iirc.

1 Like

I got the .380 and the 9mm laser cartidges, figuring one for each pistol. Both work in the 9mm pistol. You’re right, the 9mm doesn’t fit in the .380 :slight_smile:
But I knew the difference.

The .380 cartridge does fit in the .380 pistol. It stays on all the time with the slide closed. This is the problem. The .380 cartridge doesn’t work in the .380 pistol. I realize now that wasn’t clear in my prior post.

3 Likes

My dad has a security 9, and it’s his daily. He loves it. I have limited experience with it but I’ll put mine out there too.

His pros: capacity, weight, good hand feel, fun to shoot.
Cons: none

My pros: good hand feel, accurate, decent balance, good capacity, i like the udot sights better than 3dot, soft corners and grip texture that don’t tear up shirts (looking at you, m&p m2.0…)
Cons: while I like the udot sights, I think at least
a tritium front sight should be standard on sd based pistols, while the hand feel was decent after the range session my hands felt fatigued (could be because I was sick), not optics ready trigger safety :-1:.

Note: speaking only for me, most pros and cons are personal preference and observations. Some may not agree. My opinion was formed by 1 range trip while recovering from the flu, total with the firearm was about 15 to 20 minutes.

4 Likes

We did lots of homework before deciding on the Ruger Security 380. My wife’s thumbs have become extremely arthritic. She carried a Glock26 and a S&W bodyguard 380 for many years but it became difficult & frustrating for her to rack the slides. Also the long hard trigger pull on the Bodyguard was too much. We looked at the S&W lite rack also. We shot both & the Ruger was superior in every way. I’m not saying that the S&W wasn’t a good pistol because I thought it was really nice but Ruger really hit a home run with this one. My wife absolutely loves it

5 Likes

Ruger9 SIR I LOVE RUGER AND S&W m&p9/40/. And I LOVE RUGER MY 44supper black hawk mag and my 10/22 ruger with 25 an 50. Round magazines GREAT TOOLS SIR LOVE Bobby Jean and Debbie ann SIR :chile::us::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::owl::feather::feather::100::v:t5:SIR

2 Likes