Ring Cameras hacked - hacker can see and talk to you

Wow! Sorry to hear that. Technical solutions are possible but you would have to give up some conveniences. Sounds like you’ve been individually targeted. You might need to reduce your device and RF footprint (use less stuff) in order to overcome your adversary while you find some legal recourse against the attacker themselves.

1 Like

@Juanito,

Think you are dead on about individual attack. However, may I ask you to eleberate on that which you speak of. Meaning, I don’t know much other than what was learned in last few months.

For jokes in this horrible situation it should be known unless you require an essay or research paper my computer skills would be good for nothing :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

This probably deserves it’s own thread but long-short:

• Change internet provider if you think they are at fault. I personally don’t think that is likely.
  • Keep your devices up to date. I know it is annoying but it is necessary.
  • Use strong passwords, a password manager, and 2 factor authentication with an app whenever possible.
  • If your studies are really important treat that equipment like work equipment and use it exclusively for that.

Hopefully that is helpful. Here are some reources (keep in mind these are cybersecurity centric resources and the 2A is not a consideration for most authors):

1 Like

What he did was a crime…

But I already reported his actions, I don’t have time for this one. In the pas 6 months police have been at my house 15 times.

I’m sure they were starting to count me as mentally ill.

That is a very good point Brian.
It amazes me how many businesses and facilities are clueless to how easy it is to hack into networks.
What would recommend?
Should private, state and government facilities have to get certifiable knowledge on how to protect confidential information?
I feel this is something that should be voted on.
The general public lay to comfortable without speculation.

This is a really old thread but there is more to this story. Ring did not get hacked but the customers email address did. I recommended using a password generator and changing the password to that generator at least once every 30 days. Ring now has two step verification since then and it can be done via Text or Authentication App.

1 Like

It was only a matter of time.