Ridiculous Reenactors

Want a laugh? Look at reenactors in England indulging themselves as ancient Roman legions - complete with armor and weapons. The average ancient Roman male was 5’4" - my size, and stocky - watching these hulking characters marching around will make you do a double-take. i can only guess how much $$ went into their costumes - historians estimate that the cost of an individual’s full set of armor and weapons for the earlier Greek hoplite was equivalent to the cost of a car today. FYI - Kurt

1 Like

I was expecting to at least see a video…

3 Likes

Is there a video brother @NickC ?

1 Like

@Johnnyq60, that was my question. I don’t know if there is video or not. I thought the OP would have posted a link for video to go along with his topic

1 Like

He may have just made a mention of it and we have to google search it. :+1:

1 Like
1 Like

Interesting, it’s like the people who do the civil war re-enactments and they get dressed with the full regalia. You know there’s a lot of these groups in the U.S. that get involved in this sort of activity. I see nothing wrong with it. It’s not for me though. Now if you wanna make me reenact some keystone cops part with battle regalia I would probably do that.:+1::+1:

2 Likes

I spent the first five months of 1995 in Brussels, Belgium. One Saturday afternoon, we were wandering around downtown Brussels and happened upon a group of US Civil War re-enactors.

2 Likes

Heh-heh! :rofl:

1 Like

NickC posted a video link - look at the fat man in the lead - that’s something you wouldn’t have seen, then - Caesar’s legions sometimes marched 50+ miles in a day.

2 Likes

I think it is great that they have something that gets them out there doing something. Heck, ever been to a ComicCon? Same thing, just different. When I was in New England, they have Rev. War ones too. Out here in Montana it is usually just old west stuff. Some of them take it to also doing the camping and the entire bit. What the heck, get out and have some fun and meet people.

2 Likes

I think it’s nice. They are learning and promoting history (even if not 100% accurate), putting a positive spin on their interest and passions, getting people interested, learning about the phyical feel vs the academic writings of the strategies and equipment. I have more respect for these role players than those playing a Romanesque XBox game 4 hours per day.

In this regards, there are many interesting YT videos of people trying to figure out how the pyramids, Stonehenge, obelisques, etc. mechanically worked or were built rather than just written theory or exaggerated local tales spanning centuries. I’d love to learn how to build a nice Nipa hut in the tropics (although they are still built and used today).

A side note… A few years back Cambridge students’ were premitted to take apart and learn how Newton’s small, simple bridge on campus was put together with no bolts or nails. With all the knowledge, academic teachings, and technology we have today, they couldn’t put it back together correctly, and it is now bolted together.

2 Likes

I am friends with a pretty avid reenactor. Apparently, there are levels of how authentic you have to dress. Once time his group was told they had to wear period piece undergarments… This was to be verified at the beginning of the event. So, their group stopped by a lingerie shop, and got all decked out in g strings and such, much to the surprise of the other people. :wink:

Some of it looks like fun, a lot of them make their own uniforms, have cannons, and lots of guns and sharp pointy things.

1 Like