From The History Channel

If you can get 'em, watch SHARPSHOOTERS and THE HISTORY OF DUELING - in the first, you’ll see a stunt attributed to Hickock, and a world record - 8 objects shot in the air with a PUMP shotgun at one time. In the second, you’ll see things like a duel between a man and a dog, the mistress of a fencing-master taking on three individuals, and the mention of a duelist living to a ripe old age. Good stuff! FYI

1 Like

That catches my interest def going to check it out.

If you are interested in dueling, you might like a book titled “By The Sword” by Richard Cohen. I used to have a copy, but I can’t seem to find it right now. The book explains how dueling developed in both Europe (and later America) and Asia. He describes how duelists gradually became farther and farther apart as swords got longer and longer, until eventually the swords were replaced by pistols.

The rules of dueling with pistols was nothing like the quick draw we see in the movies, by the way. In 18th century, for example, the person who was challenged got the first shot, and had all the time in the world to take aim (the pistols at the time were not all that accurate). If the person who challenged survived, he then got to take his turn. If both duelists survived, they could be forced to shake hands and the matter was considered resolved.

Duels have long since been outlawed, of course, but I can’t help but think how our society would be different if we still had these rules. Imagine if Will Smith had to challenge Chris Rock, but then had to stand still and let Chris take the first shot. Perhaps the easily offended would think twice before resorting to violence.

1 Like

For some reason, this character came to my mind.