Review Your Concealed Carry Firearm

Thanks Johhnny.
After much research, I am in agreement that either one would be a good choice. Hopefully, one of them will be on sale this weekend.

I have 2 EDCs:
1st. XDm .40 - 4.5 barrel - I love this handgun. Bury it in the mud, sand, dirt, water… and it will shoot and never fail! Smooth firing line warm butter. It’s a comfortable feeling handgun and that comfort when you’re shooting it builds confidence in your shooting. That confidence helps make you a better shooter.
2nd. M&P Shield .40 w/ integrated laser - very concealable and reliable. It’s integrated laser assists in target acquisition for on target firing when milliseconds count.

With both of these, I’m very happy with the safety mechanisms. I can look at either of them and know if it’s ready to fire and if it has a round in the chamber. With 6 children, having grip safeties, trigger safeties, and safety switch allows for me to be more confident in knowing my very young children would not be able to fire them. My older children started their training on firearm usage at 4 years old, and continue to practice all the protocols for safety in handling firearms. They are capable enough to know how to handle a firearm in the event of an emergency, but intelligent enough to know NOT to touch them without an adult (we continue to instill the respect for firearms almost daily) present. They began shooting the XDm .40 at 4 years of age. For me in carrying these particular firearms (outside of others) they are 5 stars in my review: for comfort, reliability and safety.

1 Like

My Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm Compact 3.6" is absolutely amazing. It still throws me for a loop when I can pack 15+1 rds into such a small, lightweight, and concealable firearm. It comes with 2 magazine spacers that fit the 17rd S&W magazines so if I decide to carry with 15+1 and 2 spare 17 Rd mags I can carry 50 rds of hate and discontent. While the gun was only shortened by 1/2" overall with the 3.6" barrel, that 1/2" took a full oz of material off making it lighter than it’s predecessor.

It’s frame is metal lined making it more rigid and prevents flexing while firing a lot of ammo. Standard 3 white dot sights but are very bright for day time use. I opted for the thumb safety less model but the fact it has the option to either have it or not is pretty awesome for those less comfortable without a safety.

The texturing on the grip is outstanding and very aggressive which has its pros and cons. It stays put in your hand however you hold it. Downside is if you don’t wear an undershirt it can get very uncomfortable on your skin. Pretty much like 80 grit sandpaper to your skin… I wear undershirts all the time so it doesn’t affect me. Speaking of grip, it comes with 4 interchangable palm swells to fit any hand size that might be around, small, medium, medium-large, and large.

And lastly the accuracy. Even though it only has a 3.6" barrel how far do you really think you’re going to shoot with a handgun? I’m not long range shooting with a 9mm. If I need to use it in my apartment it will be within 10 yards. In public I’d say that’s closed to 5 yards in a real scenario. All of those shots are right on target but that has more to do with training than just the firearm.

Overall I’d give the S&W M&P 9mm Compact 3.6" a 5 star rating. The gun, for me, cost 560.00 total including transfer fees and tax. This included the gun, two 15 rd magazines, 2 magazine extensions, and 4 palm swells.

5 Likes

I know people who can hit 8" plate from 100 yards shooting 3.6" barrel handgun !
3.6" is accurate as 4" and conceals better.
Great choice with M&P9C :+1:

3 Likes

Jerry Miculek can hit a gong from like 500yds with a revolver so I know there are people who can do exactly as you said. I’m talking about the average person.

4 Likes

I truly believe that Jerry could do that with his eyes closed. He is amazing… and funny.

3 Likes

I know average people who can do 100 yards… I don’t even think about 500 yards. :scream:
Anyway, 3.6" is very accurate at 60 feet ( tested by myself) which is still way more than needed for home defense.

3 Likes

Agreed 100%

2 Likes

I carry a Bersa 380 with CrimsonSight laser. The profile is small, easy to concel and very accurate. The light weight(for an all metal pistol) is great, I can carry all day and almost forget it is there. It is not a main stream,e.g., Glock, Sig, or S&W, but it gets the job done and has never fail to go bang. The laser is a plus and comes on when I grip the weapon. The .380 round is not the most powerful, but if you are faced with a laser and the business end of a weapon looking at you the last thing you want to know is the pedidgree. I am for relable and I like all metal pistols. Price is very good and Bersa has a lifetime warranty, at my age that may not carry much weight.

Larry

1 Like

S&W Sheild 45. I’ve loved this gun since the first round I put through it. It may be the best gun I’ve shot right out of the box. It’s light, the grip is insane and very easy to put rounds on target.

4 Likes

I just got my hands on a Springfield Hellcat about a month ago. I absolutely love it. I bought the OSP because I wanted a red dot on my EDC. I ordered the new Shield RMSc for it on June 9 directly from Springfield and it just shipped yesterday (7/10) so I’ll add to the review after I take it to the range with the optic. First, I have huge hands so I was a little leary but once I held it with the 13 round mag it fit my hand like a glove with the perfect size pinkie extension they put on it. I’m not nuts about the 11 round mag but if you have small hands it’ll be fine. I ordered 2 extra 13 rounders for it as well. Springfield made a big deal about the new grip tech that they have on the Hellcat. After holding it initially and then firing it I can understand why. It’s honestly unlike any grip I’ve ever felt. It’s hard to describe but it almost feels like it grabs your hand and holds on to it. It looks very abrasive but it isn’t at all both when holding it or with it holstered. A plus for the grip. The stock sights are very well done as well. I’ll admit it took me a bit to get used to the U shaped rear but once I found it quickly the first time it became easier to bore align the front and squeeze the trigger with confidence. Sight picture from the front is excellent. Mine came with a red front. For the money I felt like it should have come with the red and green for more options. I would prefer the green honestly but with the red dot on its way I’ll deal with it. Trigger is very good and what I expected being a multiple Springfield owner. There is a fair amount of distance in the pull until you hit the wall. I expect that in an EDC. Then there’s is a very distinct break. Reset is very quick and is really felt which makes it great for follow up shots. The pull distance could be better but I understand what they were doing because this is an EDC without a manual safety. The trigger safety is stellar which boosts confidence for those who have never carried without a manual safety. Slide has both front and rear serrations. Grip on either is very good and there is a cut out loaded chamber indicator. The slide lock was a bit tight to engage and disengage at first but after I put 250 rounds through it it wore in and both became easier. Now, the slide is not a simple one to rack. For me it is but my wife can barely rack it. The beefy two stage recoil spring designed to reduce recoil also makes manual slide operation something some may have to practice. I taught my wife an old trick that some of you may know. Instead of just pulling the slide back with you’re off hand, push forward with you’re grip hand and pull the slide back with your off hand at the same time. Once she’s did this she was able to rack it easier but it was still a little difficult. Now my wife is a tiny little thing too so that played a part as well but if you’re interested in one, rack it several times in the store to test it. I have no problem with it at all but I can certainly tell it is a tight racking slide. Now to recoil. The beefy recoil spring makes this little pistol a dream to shoot. I’ve shot full size 9mms with more recoil and that is the honest truth. It is not the least bit snappy for me and follows up shots were a breeze at 7, 10, and 12 yards. Seriously, this little pistol is easy and a whole lot of fun to shoot. I put 3 different defensive loads through it to make sure I was getting what it liked best. Hornady C Defense 124, Fiocchi XTP 115 and Speer Gold Dot C Duty 115. It liked all of them but my groups were best with the Speer. It’s expensive, I know, but I also want the best ammo for the pistol I have because one day both may save my life. Never cheap on defensive ammo. I’m sure you all know that. Lastly, take down and cleaning is a breeze. I like to clean guns but not everyone is a nut like me so if you don’t like cleaning guns, trust me, this one is simple. All in all I give it 5 stars. No personal knocks from me but like I said, rack that slide. If you have a hard time with slides in general the one on the Hellcat could be a deal breaker for you.

Oh! Carrying it. I bought a Crossbreed Deep Tuck holster for it because they were the only ones making an optics ready one. The holster is fantastic but this is about the gun. I carry mostly AIWB. Yes, I know I’m taking a chance with no manual safety and I never recommend anyone carrying appendix without one but the trigger safety on the pistol and level 2 friction holster with a generous trigger guard made me honestly not even think twice about it. It’s very comfortable there, and also at 3 o’clock and 4 o’clock. If you’re planning on a Hellcat definitely consider carrying it in a Crossbreed. Excellent holster. Any questions and I’d be glad to help. This is a pretty pricey commitment so if I can help anyone make up their minds either way I’m happy to help. Thanks for reading.

3 Likes

I just got a Performance Center M&P 9 Shield M2.0 not long ago and absolutely love it!! It trades on and off now with my Ruger LC9s for carry duty.

3 Likes

I absolutely love my Ruger LC9s for carry!! I carry it IWB in a Crossbreed holster and it is as comfortable as can be!! I recently bought a Smith & Wesson Performance Center M&P 9 Shield M2.0 and a Crossbreed holster for it and so the 2 of them share carry time now.

1 Like

Great review and welcome aboard!! Glad to have you with us!

1 Like

Thank you. Back atcha. I also carry a Walther CCP at times. I’ve had a Glock 26 for 7 years but switched to a single stack for obvious reasons. Love them all. Your S&W is sweet gun. I have an S&W 1911 & love it. Also have an S&W bodyguard 380 w/ built in green laser that my wife Carrys. Sig makes some badass 380 ammo. It was a pricey pistol but it goes bang everytime

1 Like

My EDC is the P365. I give it 4 stars out of the box. I’ve replaced the trigger and will be replacing the grip module with the XL grip module next week. With the changes, it might become a 5 star weapon.

2 Likes

4" M&P 2.0 9mm. I love the aggressive grip like its stuck in your hand it holds 15+1. With ability to hold the 17 rnd mags and previous generations mags. Mine has i dot night sights and a factory trigger witch after shooting it enough i actually really like an know my trigger supper reliable with alot of holsters and aftermarket accessories

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure I might be literally the only person on here carrying what I carry, but I’m using a CZ Shadow 2. It’s ridiculously heavy, it’s a 6" barrel, it’s jagged and not at all snag-free, and I’m pretty sure, PRETTY SURE, that it would take someone 19 years to draw it from concealment. Those are the bad points.

The good points, however, are insane. The 9mm CZ Shadow 2 has ZERO. RECOIL. You can place all 10+ right in the same exact spot. The trigger is Single Action, which means every single shot is on a 2-3.5 lb pull. Extremely fast, extremely easy to shoot, no recoil, and with some solid ammunition in it, this thing will stop literally anything.

I carry it because I want to, not because I have to. That being said, it’s much, much better suited as a home defense. The other one I choose to carry is the CZ P-10C.

2 Likes

I just recently bought a Smith & Wesson Performance Center M&P 9 Shield M2.0 myself!! I got mine with the fiber optic sights on it. I absolutely love it!! It shares carry time with my Ruger LC9s now.

3 Likes

Michael,
Purchased my Hellcat (OSP ready) this past Saturday 7/25 (last one) and shot 100 rounds at 20 ft. The first 10 shots were slightly off because I had to get use to the new u shaped sight. But after that, nothing was left of the middle of the target. I have on order a IWB holster (OSP ready) from We are the People which I will carry AIWB mostly. Also have the Gold.Dot duty ammunition (124 gr). Ordered 1 extra 13 round mag directly from Springfield Armory
I even tried pressing on the trigger sideways and I had no issues as seen on the internet.

I will share my EDC with my current Walter PPQ subcompact. Both of these guns are excellent. I was going to purchase the Sig P365, but I liked the looks of the Hellcat better and didn’t hurt my hand as much.
It’s to bad ammo is so hard to get at the moment.

1 Like