Replacing springs?

We shoot our firearms - a lot - for training. Some have asked about replacing springs - in da/sa firearms and in magazines. I’ve never had a failure from a broken spring. I’ve heard the gamut of when you should replace a spring - 500 rounds to 100,000 rounds.

How often do you replace the springs in your firearms?

2 Likes

When I find it not working properly… which means more failures as usual.
So far - over 5K rounds and still do not see any differences with spring tension.
Most new pistols use FLAT spring which (according to manufacturers) last forever.

1 Like

Every couple thousand rounds on my 1911’s I replace recoil spring and usually mainspring. Or when they feel ‘sluggish’. On tupperware guns, never replaced one, but don’t shoot them like I do my 1911’s.

1 Like

Depends on the gun and what springs. Flat wound ones do last longer.
1911 5" 5000 rounds: recoil, firing pin spring.
1911 4" 1500 rounds: recoil

The flat wound ones, or double stacked ones (like in my Glocks), 10k I replace all the springs.

As for magazine springs… as soon as they start to hiccup. I also track feed lip spread on my 1911 magazines. My more heavily used magazines (such as my competition guns), I replace the springs every year. I am not sure I have ever replaced one of my AR-15 magazine springs.

1 Like

This video just so happened to come out, it recommends every 5K rds

2 Likes

I purchased a significant quantity of 15 round mag springs for my SiG P226 about 15 years ago, along with recoil springs, recoil guide rods, and firing pins.

Spring fatigue on my SiG P226 mags has not been an issue, and yet I am left with an abundance of factory new 15 round mag springs in my kit.

What would be the possibility of creating a selling/barter page within the USCCA website for the legal transfer of firearms and accessories?

1 Like

If this is a possibility, I would think holsters and such would be great to sell or trade. I am sure most people have the “drawer of holsters”, that someone could use. I have gotten some really good deals on gunleather on some forums, and sold quite a few as well.

1 Like