Recommendations-Preserving eggs- Water Glassing

O.K. Here we go. On 04-18-22 I tried a way of preserving farm fresh eggs called Water Glassing.
You will need fresh eggs right from the chicken, we buy ours from a local source. Do not wash the eggs, they can be wiped off but must retain the natural bloom that forms, kind of like potatoes from your garden.
You will need a clean 1 gallon jar and Pickeling lime you can buy at any canning section in one pound bags, although most vids say any lime can be used but must be Calcium hydroxide.

Some vids call for 1-4 oz. lime per quart of water, I went with 4oz. per quart, if properly stored eggs can be kept up to two years. I also used filtered water.

On 02-18-23 I tried 3 of the eggs, the first test is to submerge the eggs in a bowl of water, if any float they are no good, none floated. I cracked them and no odor, I broke the yoke and all good, I did notice the yoke was firmer and didn’t run. I scrambled the eggs with a little milk and salt and pepper. The eggs cooked up fine and tasted as fresh as the day I put them down.
This method has been used for hundreds of years so it’s nothing new, just lost to modern times.
Cool and dark is the key, my storage room stays 53 deg. in the winter and 65deg. in the summer with the air conditioning on. My first try was 30 fresh unwashed eggs in a gallon jar with about 2 quarts and 8oz. of lime. I will give an update as time passes. You can also extend
shelf life of your store-bought eggs by coating them with mineral oil to close the pours.
Just one of many vids on YT.

10 Likes

OR stick them into the freezer for storage. They will hold good up to a year.

3 Likes

Yup, did that to, I need to use smaller amounts. I put them in cupcake papers and froze them in a muffin pan then vacuum sealed them. :+1:

3 Likes

My wife cans them into boiled eggs and she freezes them in rubber cup cake holders we have 45 chickens and 4 ducks we get a lot of eggs every day. When they went to 5 dollars her eyes got all glassy thinking about the money. LOL we don’t sell any we might give a few away but that’s it.

1 Like

LOL, you must have a mountain of eggs by now. :rofl: :+1:

1 Like

You have no idea. We feed our neighborhood with the excess lol. Guess we have 100 jars of boiled eggs. The duck eggs make the best corn bread you ever ate they are richer and you can tell the difference but fried got to be chicken.

2 Likes

We were happily paying $5 a week for a person in town to deliver us a dozen fresh eggs. Unfortunately with the nation wide egg shortage a large distributor found out they had eggs available and offered them a contract for all their eggs at a price they couldn’t refuse. No more fresh eggs at our doorstep:(

2 Likes

Yea all by design Land of Lakes has bought up almost all egg producing plants it’s all most a monopoly and that is the reason they have sky rocketed on price. Control you control the food and water you control the people. So I feel your pain. We saw this coming 18 yrs ago and decided it was time to get ready.

2 Likes

O.K. today was 2 years to the day that I water glassed 30 chicken eggs. :chicken:
Added: We have been eating them right along but saved these for the 2 year mark test.
I took one off the top and rinsed it, looked good and no smell or spots, cracked it into a container, No odor at all, the yoke broke on contact and mixed with the clear fluids,
again no smell, fried it up with a little salt and pepper and ate it, tastes good. :yum:

If it doesn’t kill me, I will post again. :rofl:

3 Likes

How ya feeling brother??

2 Likes

Doing good, no ill effects. :+1:

2 Likes