Preparation for food shortage?

With the news that California is restricting independent truckers, the cost of diesel on a constant rise, and the supply chain struggles we’ve already experienced, what are some of the long-term food preparation/ storage plans that our community recommends? It really feels like we are witnessing a food shortage being manufactured right before our eyes, and I would like to be a lot further out in front of it than I am. We have about 30 days worth in our house at any given time, plus a couple of cases of MREs stashed if SHTF, but I’d like something a little more long term, and thought this would be a good place to have this discussion. What companies have you all used?

6 Likes

Highly recommend Azure Standard. They sell (almost literally) everything. They won’t disappoint.

7 Likes

Buy some seeds as well. Learn how to build cold frames to grow food in colder weather. Learn how to save seeds too. Your stash is only going to last so long, learn how to can too. You can can veggies and meat.

11 Likes

An additional problem is that suddenly more people are realizing how fragile our food supply system is and trying to stock up extra in a time of shortages instead of in a time of plenty as individuals and governments should have been doing. This will lead to even sharper shortages.

You are far ahead of 90+% of people with your 30 day supply. I would recommend just picking up a little extra every week at the grocery store when you see a section of shelves full with dry goods your family eats on a regular basis. Don’t be the person that pulls the last 10 boxes of pasta off the shelves.

I don’t have any of the fancy long term storage food options. MREs often have a limited shelf life and they and other options cost a lot extra. During WW2 Japanese soldiers trapped on islands were expected to get by on 50lbs of rice a year. They looked like skeletons in the end but I believe a few of them are still alive today. Some buckets of white rice and black beans with some oxygen absorbers thrown in are a dirt cheap option that will last a long time and go a long ways. Some canned goods and dehydrated veggies can add to the nutritional value. Make sure you have your salt and other spices stocked up as well.

6 Likes

For long term food and the best shipping. Been doing business with them for 17 years. :+1:

https://www.stclareseeds.com/garden-help/ For garden seeds.

There are many Prepping topics on here.

3 Likes

We do the Mormon thing, even though we aren’t Mormon. The challenge is, it takes up quite a bit of room and changing out the water is a pain…

3 Likes

I’m looking for the link with the years work of amounts suggested.
Someone posted it before.

1 Like

It’s not just the supply chain that’s being affected. Farmers and ranchers are being hit hard both in CA and the rest of the country—they can’t grow the bounty we’ve grown used to without fertilizers from the Ukraine and elsewhere, and diesel for the trucks and farming implements, and electricity for food processing.
Farmer’s groundwater which is pumped for irrigation in CA has been “appropriated” by Newsom

4 Likes

My son sent 150 pounds of rice not long ago. He says he’s going to send us a 150 of beans as well. Time to get another metal garbage can to keep the mice out.

4 Likes

Cali won’t let you catch rain water either to my understanding.

1 Like

I have laid in a supply from Wise. I got a good deal on it from Midway USA. They have it on sale every so often. It has a shelf life of 25 to 30 years. We have also used a Food Saver to seal bags of rice, instant mashed potatoes and beans. Also grabbed some ramen. We have around a six month supply.

We also bought some water containers, purification kits, and first aid supplies. This includes over the counter medicines that people may need. We also got some multivitamin pills to round out the nutritional needs.

We started this in the summer of 2020. We went slowly but surely into prepper mode. This country is one cyber attack or solar flare from turning into something we won’t recognize.

Not that I am cynical or anything. Lol

5 Likes

I just bought a 3 month supply of Mountain House. My favorite freeze dried by far, 2 packets a day I feel like I’m living large. The wife will eat one, and I have 330 total (including left over from the past couple years purchases)
We also have tubs of Numana which mixes well with the Mountain House. Got a couple hundred servings of dehydrated fruit. Gardens doing well this year, seeds saved for the future. Bought 2 solar generators, more panels and added 2 deep cycle batteries to my home built system, plus a 15 horse Hyundai generator and the 4k onan in the RV, 55 gallons of treated gas and adapters for 15 amp cords. Spare water filters for the aquasana home unit, 2 life straws and 1 pump action ceramic unit. Case of fuel cans for my jet-boil, half a dozen propane cannisters for the camp stoves, 9 gallons of propane for the RV stove, 10 cord of firewood split for the wood stove. Bring it on!! :muscle::joy:

5 Likes

I call it a hobby :+1:

7 Likes

There you go. A hobby. I like that. Thanks Brother.

6 Likes

@Barry54 Good info.
https://thesurvivalmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/LDS-Preparedness-Manual.pdf

3 Likes

Thank you. I added it to my favorites.

1 Like

When the pLandemic started, Lowe’s garden section was as bare as the grocery store’s paper tissue aisle.

2 Likes

…and it was planned and perfectly executed! Never thought I’d be planning for food shortages in the U.S.
So, when SHTF in 2020 we started! One spare bedroom is dedicated to food storage!

Book shelves ( go figure ) are canned and dry goods storage, obviously we’ll be burning the books, to cook! Good thing I was an avid reader!
What to do with over 4,000 CD’s? Giant reflectors???

About to turn my home theater into a command center/situation room, working on a budget here!

7 Likes

My home was built in 1905 and has a large cistern. No a cistern isn’t for sewage. Don’t know what it would take to get it functional again or if I should.

2 Likes

Agreed. i recently got a 50 pound bag of hydrated lime from them for storing fresh eggs long term. Mix one ounce (in weight) of lime to 1 quart of water. Then drop in clean (meaning no poo on the shells) unwashed fresh eggs and they will keep for up to 2 years.

4 Likes