Preparation for food shortage?

I started buying long term survival food about a year ago, have about 6 months so far. I have a small house, so room is an issue.

5 Likes

@Jamie29 Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you here. :slightly_smiling_face:
We are “water glassing” eggs also.
We have been prepping since 2005 so doing well, container gardening this year with emphasis on potatoes. :us:

3 Likes

Yes

have a couple 5 gallon buckets filled with white rice, a little diotomaceous earth, and mylar bags sealed up back in 2007. One of these years I’ll open one and see how it is. I’m sure it’s fine though.

4 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t have a nice cool basement and my only good storage area is a closet on the second floor where the temps occasionally get into the low to mid 80s in the summertime. I’ve had 10 year old rice that tastes fine but my canned butter started tasting a little off after 7ish years.

5 Likes

Cali would tax rain water if they could measure how much falls on your property :man_shrugging:t4:

What is everyone’s thoughts on expiration, “sell by” or “best if used by” dates?

2 Likes

Cop didn’t see it, I didn’t do it.

3 Likes

I have a dry and cool and dark basement so I have optimum conditions, 54degs. winter and
70degs. summer.
I have eaten canned tuna, soup, fruit and other canned goods 5 years past the expiration date, the taste was a little like the can but still good. As long as the can is in good condition and no hissing or fowl odor upon opening it should be good although the taste may be a little off. :us:

7 Likes

My father in law told us that is his rule as well.

5 Likes

I go by what we did growing up on canned goods not the date,pick up a can or canning jar and if the lid are bulged out,they are not fit to use

7 Likes

I noticed when traveling in Indiana yesterday, a gas station capped me at $50 a fill up. Any of you experience similar and in which state?

Heard that in the 1970’s, during a two week period, it was capped at $20 per filling, is that correct?

3 Likes

Have not experienced that.

I traveled across four states for Independence day, including Indiana, and filled up beyond $50 in multiple of those states, including Indiana. My first fillup in IN was $86.

3 Likes

That is correct, 20 bucks worth, if you could find any.

2 Likes

Credit card companies often have a max limit on how much they let you charge at a gas pump. But it is usually in the $100 to $300 range.

I have very limited childhood memories of the 70s gas shortages. I mostly remember the lines and only being able to buy gas on certain days of the week depending on if your plate ended in an odd or even number.

$20 would have bought you a fair amount of gas even during the shortages back in the 70s. Though most the cars back then got horrible gas mileage so guess it wouldn’t get you all that far.

5 Likes

Yes. All the places I’ve bought diesel this year stop the pump at $150 but supposedly if you go inside to pay they will sell you all you need. I guess the limit is from paying at the pump.

1 Like

Get 3 live chickens per person in your household and you’re set for about 5 years.
Roosters can be noisy but with a broody hen, you can have about 3-5 new baby chicks every month and a half-ish.

2 Likes

Also, if the can lid is bulged, don’t open it. Don’t ask me how I found out. Even raccoons will give you a dirty look if they find them after you toss them out.

1 Like

My hens or should I say my wife’s hens are brooding right now. The main problem we are having is, we think, a fox is coming in at night making a meal of the hens and chicks.

Dad says everyone loves a chicken dinner!

Of the foods out there, Mountain House had the best IMO.

Instead of stocking up on them, i bought a Harvest Right freeze dryer, i make all my own foods. Done a bunch of candies to try and may end up selling some to fund preps,
Done FD chicken, beef, pulled pork, veggies, fruits. (Im currently trying to get as many cherries as possible) pit them all. And freeze to later freeze dry since i have access to a cherrie orchard.

4 Likes

For the past 150 or so years the LDS Church has recommended 2 years of food storage. Contact any local LDS Church as they always have good recommendations.

2 Likes