Rain and miss fire in, 22,rounds

Fizzled rounds 22,ammunition has any one had problems with 22, rounds not fireing and not sure if they are defective :question:

I think it’s pretty common to have a small percentage of .22 LR rounds fail to fire. I usually have at least a couple in a bulk pack not work. Cheap rimfire rounds just aren’t as reliable as centerfire.

I have had especially bad luck with cheap Remington .22s in the past and it was way more than a couple per box that failed to fire or fired so weakly that they didn’t cycle the action. The only manufacturer I can’t remember ever having a failure with is CCI. They cost a little more than the really cheap stuff but are a lot more reliable.

9 Likes

.22 ammo is not waterproof. I’ve had a quantity of .22 ammo get wet and subsequently fail to fire consistently. I waited for a nice hot sunny day and I spread out all the rounds on a concrete patio floor in full sunshine and left them there for a few hours. After that they worked fine.

6 Likes

.22 rounds are “the special one”… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: First - you buy a quality ones, second - shoot them sooner rather than later.
You may expect more problems if you by .22 rds loose. Unfortunately the primer sitting in the rim can move freely creating free spaces in the rim, so when firing pin strikes, it may hit empty rim.

I personally have gotten a good experience with CCi MiniMax and Aquilla HV. Failure rate on these is very low.

@Enzo_T got a good solution for wet / moisturized .22 ammo.

5 Likes

I stopped buying Remington .22LR many years ago because the failure rate was higher than I was willing to deal with. That experience was echoed by a number of other shooters.
Meanwhile, yes, bulk .22 is going to have some failures. As others have said, find out what brands and names work for you, especially for plinking vs. competition vs. small critter management.

5 Likes

There is a difference between a “fizzled” round and a dud. If a round fizzles or low pop STOP. Wait for a minute for a hang fire. Clear the round and see if the bullet is still in the case. If not check your barrel for a lodged bullet. A lot of guns have been ruined by not following this procedure.
A dud round may fire on a 2nd strike. If not discard it. Some ranges keep a bucket of water for dud rounds. When I had a bad brick of Remington (20% duds) I carried a water bottle to drop duds into.
Most 22lr is not waterproof. They are even less oil proof. Oil in a cylinder or chamber can kill a rimfire round.

5 Likes

Back in the day we shot the 550 Federal bulk box with no problems. We would not even buy the Remington’s because of the misfires, On Sundays it was not unusual for us to shoot around 3,000 rounds of 22’s

3 Likes

This! Yes, when WalMart stopped stocking them I was distraught.

4 Likes

About $240 in today’s dollars.

2 Likes

check the firing pin it could of snapped … hth

2 Likes

Not by my cross check. Using two different online inflation calculators I trie $15.00 (2.7 cents/round) in 2006 converted to 2023 price.
https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm resulted in $22.63
(4.1 censts a round)

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com came in at $22.26.

BUT, the current Ammo.com list for 525 rounds of Federal .22L is $55.99 or 10.7 cents / round.

2 Likes

You need to find a better place to buy ammo.

2 Likes

Are you addressing @ Ron43xMOS or me?
I was simply comparing the effect of inflation compared to the actual price change using a single sample for ease of discussion.

2 Likes

I just paid $0.08/ rnd. Times it by the 3000 rounds used on his weekend equals $240.

5 Likes

I changed my m&p,9, smith & weson’s edc to my six guns 22,mag”s with ,MA​:x: l MAG 22,W,M,R JACKETED, HOLLOW POINT,S CCI ,40, GRAIN , VARMINT , 1875,FPS, LOTS BETTER THAN REMINGTONS, cost lots more ,THANKS FOR THE TIP ! Lots of fun no more fizzz or pizz and my little six single action twin RUGER’S stainless cases ! Like LONG RANGER MUCH LIGHTER TO CARRY , back up 22 BRETTA bobcat’ auto seven shot with CCI , STINGER,22L,R, copper hollow points, and every thing fits under my Warangal shirt ! Much better very good ammo :100::boom::zap:

1 Like

I’m glad you found the good 22 rounds. You won’t be disappointed with CCi. Stick with that manufacturer and you should be good.
Just remember, even the best 22 rounds may cause the malfunctions… it is just a nature of rimfire ammo.

3 Likes

Thank ya jerzy I have went THROU ten boxes of one hundred rounds!! So a thousand rounds with no misfire or fizzeres wasps :honeybee: 32,grain and the MAX :x: 1, magnum rounds I feel a lot more confident and I understand that they need to be kept sealed from moisture Grate advice Bobby Jean

1 Like

Winchester was the only 22 rounds that we had trouble with, We found they were a little longer and the wax coating gave us problems. We would not buy them.

1 Like

I. BUY NATTO. Rounds P.Plus.P rounds 124 g. And I asked my Deputies pals how did they like them ! And F.,Yawwww :question::us: