Question - Trigger Control

I’ve been working with grip strengtheners 6 days a week for over a year.
I’ve noticed while at the range lately I’ll “double tap” the trigger about 3 out of 100 rounds because I feel the trigger pressure is very light lately.
Just wanting to know if anyone else has had this happen to them?

1 Like

@William377
If you are working with grip strengtheners it is normal for the trigger to have a lighter pull than what you are used to. Try to increase your double taps more frequently and you will notice even your accuracy getting better. It will become second nature to you.

3 Likes

I believe you are saying you are not intentionally double tapping?

If so, I speculate it is because your first shot is coming so unexpected you subconsciously react just enough to reset the trigger. The combination of the trigger being just on the edge of the reset and the slide slamming back forward pulls the gun just enough to set off the second shot.

FWIW, I used to have that problem. The way I have overcome it is I have practiced and taught myself to hold the trigger back after every shot. If I want to take another shot I feel the reset and can immediately take the next shot. If not taking another shot I just release the trigger after that decision is made.

This works for me, as always I am not advocating anyone else following my experience- unless it works for them as well.

2 Likes

yeah… I’m glad somebody got the same results… :grimacing: :joy:
3 of 100 is not so bad… but if you continue working on trigger control, you will drip it to ZERO soon.
I don’t know how long I’ve been working with grip strengtheners and rubber balls, but I’ve noticed the same “double tap” shots with my 1911/2011 pistols. I also notices that first long pull in DA/SA pistols is not a problem anymore.

Anyway… pay more attention to trigger control, focus on finding the wall and resetting the trigger. All trigger finger movements have to be more precise now, once you get more strength with it.
I actually find “prepping the trigger” working better for me that “resetting the trigger” after my grip became stronger.

3 Likes

Thank you all, I will try harder to pay attention to my trigger reset and work on holding the trigger all the way back at certain times.

1 Like

What gun/trigger?

I accidentally tripled when I wanted to double a few times with my last carry gun, which is why it’s not longer my carry gun (sold it, actually) and I don’t have a trigger like thta any more. Great trigger but not for defense

1 Like

Aftermarket I assume? Geissele makes the best rifle triggers. I haven’t researched handgun triggers very much. What did you get rid of? At $240 I don’t wanna make a wrong decision.

1 Like

So this is why I have double taps! Before I used trainers, never experienced this unless intended.
Thought my unintended double taps were age related!
So I started using my grip strengthening tools more frequently!
At least all double taps were a hole in a hole!
Grip control is obviously not a problem!
Trigger control and resetting, new mindset!

2 Likes

It was a S&W M&P 2.0 with a Apex forward set flat face that I flow charted to supposedly be 5.05 lbs, but it was really short and light. When I bought a trigger pull gauge it metered at 3 lbs 1 Oz most pull, less on some.

2 Likes

You need to work on you double taps then… :joy:
Single hole is not good from self defense perspective. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Single hole is fine form terminal performance perspective of what the bullet does (mostly because you’ll never get that in actual self defense, you won’t be standing motionless while attacker is motionless and deliver two rounds along exactly the same path and even if yiu did its not like a bullet will go through the same tract without doing additional damage), the real problem with two bullets one hole is it means you wasted time

4 Likes