Pricy training classes

Keep looking!

1 Like

@bmurphy315, I would say unless people have money to burn its hard to justify $5k for a few days of classes. Seems unreasonable. To each their own, but personally I would never spend that amount of money.

For those looking for different training options that are very reasonably priced, I highly recommend the GoRuck firearms training courses. The classes are taught by instructors who are former military special operations.

The classes arenā€™t the end-all-be-all (no training can be), but I found the courses I took to be extremely beneficial at a very reasonable cost and realistic. As a person who carries concealed everyday to protect myself and my family, this training helped to enhance my mindset and has radically changed the way I train.

Iā€™ve taken the Active Shooter Intervention, Counter Ambush Response, and the FIGHT courses. I am planning on taking their Counter Terror Rifle, Night Fire Advanced Pistol, and the Personal Security Detail courses in November.

For those who are serious about their training (especially if you carry a firearm regularly) and want to learn and practice real skills and the use of firearms for self-defense, I encourage you check these courses out.

And these courses are not just for young ā€˜high speedā€™ people. I am almost 50 and according to my doctor Iā€™m overweight (what the hell does he knowā€¦ha) and these courses were still well within my abilities.

https://www.goruck.com/firearms-training/

1 Like

When I was in the military I was sent to more than a dozen high end schools for pistol and SMG/Carbine and at that tender young age I was sucking in vast amounts of knowledge that you could not get ANYWHERE else other than going to the school/class. We took that knowledge back and developed training programs and often invited the instructors to come to our classes to QA and evaluate them. With the internet today and You Tube and such you can get a great deal of good ā€œinstructionā€ and yes there are many opinions out there.

The simple fact is that you cannot beat having an actual instructor there on site to address issues with grip, stance, foot placement and so on for pistol. To have that luxury you must understand that for him/her to be there it is his/her job, they have bills to pay and such as well as the added expenses of having a ā€œfacilityā€ as well as ā€œliability insuranceā€ and basic pay for their time end effort plus supplies.

I instruct for a very specific niche of the shooting world and while I am not ā€œexpensiveā€ I cost a lot as I do it ā€œcost plus feeā€. In other words if I come to you, you pay me to get there and get back, if I stay there you pay to put me up and feed me and then there is the flat rate per day (including travel) so it adds up quickly. A lot of the entities I adjunct instruct for are ā€œall inclusiveā€ in that as part of you package is food, lodging, transportation etc. Iā€™ve been to some very nice hunting lodges to instruct in the off season, places I could never dream of actually going to for a hunt.

My best advice is to look local, check your shooting ranges, look up IDPA, IPSC clubs and such. Get involved in those types of matches. When you are new it shows and people will be watching you (for safety) and offering help. You never know you might just make a friend who is a grand master with a range in his back yard 20 miles from your house.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

@craig6, Your entire post is well said. Going local is great advise and donā€™t forget your USCCA family of instructors here. Not only do we bring our past experience to the table but it takes an immense amount of time, and very intense training to gain the expertise needed to bring you a comprehensive self defense educational experience.

Weā€™re all right here, answering your questions and helping you everyday in this forum, and not crazy expensive. Use us. :slight_smile:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/training/

4 Likes

Hi Bill - I am new to USCCA and am very interested in becoming an USCCA Instructor. I am recently retired from full time employment. I spent 22 years in the U.S. Army and then 17 years in the corporate world.

I noticed you are an USCCA Instructor and was wondering if you could tell me how I begin my journey of becoming an instructor. Is there a required ā€œpath of trainingā€ that has to take place? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tommy Thomas, Jr.

2 Likes

Hi Fizbin - I am new to USCCA and am very interested in becoming an USCCA Instructor. I am recently retired from full time employment. I spent 22 years in the U.S. Army and then 17 years in the corporate world.

I noticed you are an USCCA Instructor and was wondering if you could tell me how I begin my journey of becoming an instructor. Is there a required ā€œ path of training ā€ that has to take place? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tommy Thomas, Jr.
[/quote]

1 Like

Iā€™d love to @Redleg6 . I just got back from a hard week of training myself. Iā€™ll leave an overview reply here tomorrow and PM you a lot more detail as well.

For now, off to a full nightā€™s sleep tonight, first in a week.

3 Likes

Thank you Fizbin - I look forward to hearing again from you. Rest well!

2 Likes

Redleg6,
Being a training counselor, I have to say that officially I have never seen a set of basic requirements to become a instructor BUT!
Without a good basic understanding of firearms, long term practice in gun handling, the ability to be comfortable and talk in front of a crowd your starting from a major disadvantage.

Now to the good part instructor classes are 2 days of intensive learning about firearms, gun handling, RSO work, malfunctions, teaching methods, how to set up, advertise and make a buck teaching, shooting range instruction. This is just a capsule of the class if your interested I am actually running a instructor class the weekend of August 8th or October 31 here in Leesburg, FL.
Hope it answers your question, more detail just ask,
Bill Hall
bill@aimpower.biz
352-459-9334

6 Likes

Bill,

Thanks for the information you provided! I have the prerequisites you mentioned (understanding of firearms, gun handling, talk in front of crowds, etc) which makes me feel a little better! I spent 22 years in the U.S. Army and then 17 years in the corporate world. Both required talking/teaching to large crowds. I am hoping to take courses closer to where I am (Panama City Beach). If I am unable to coordinate closer to me I will get back with you regarding classes in the future. Thanks again for the assistance!

3 Likes

Anytime I can help
Bill

4 Likes