Prepper Saturday: How to Survive the Apocalypse

:laughing:
but like anything, we prepare for the worst even if you hope to never use that preparation.

If I die (for any reason) without ever using my carry skills, my shooting skills, my disaster aid medical skills, or my haz-mat suit, I’m all good with that. The good did any of it do me?

Peace of mind knowing I have done what I could to be ready for the worst.

And that lowers my stress. Which should help keep me from stroking-out on the golf course. :wink:
That is, if I played golf. :thinking:

And BTW, we’ve put up screens to keep the chickens off the front porch of the bunker :laughing:

PS, if I die by getting run over by a purple Scion, I’m gonna be MAD. :laughing:

2 Likes

@John292 Chickens take care of bugs. My HOA would probably take exception. They already complain about the llamas :llama: :llama: :llama: Tactical llamas:

(1:21)

3 Likes

Is it safe to store gasoline in the proper containers in a garage during extremely hot weather. Where temperatures can reach 110 in said garage. Also concerned about appliances such as clothes dryers and fumes in a garage. I don’t think it’s a particularly good idea to store gasoline outside for fear that someone may see an opportunity for arson. I’m not a preppier, I live in a single family home in what I consider a healthy clean quiet neighborhood!
However the world is beginning to spin in the opposite direction, I need to be somewhat prepared.
Opinions welcome!

I store up to 35gal. in my garage but it might get 95% here for a short time. No windows?
You can put a balloon over the end of the can to allow for expansion while catching the fumes, yes I do this. The balloons may deteriorate but just check them. :us:

1 Like

Just a thought. :thinking:

1 Like

Great info, things around me look normal but there is definitely something in the air! Placing an order after Labor Day, have been stockpiling since February 2019, the wife just has to learn how to rotate food stash.
FYI no windows in garage. I understand there a preservative that’s required in the gas to keep it long term, am I correct? I’m guessing it’s available everywhere? Home Depot etc…

2 Likes

Yes STA-BIL, fuel will last up to two years, I am just turning mine around and it run fine in my vehicle.
Prepping is a lot of work. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

@Scott52 Check out https://beprepared.com/ I have done business with them since 2007 and have tried and store a lot of their food. :+1:

3 Likes
1 Like

I think it’s prudent to have supplies on hand for emergencies. FEMA (Ready.gov) and the non-profit Do1Thing (www.do1thing.com) group advise to prepare for emergencies and disasters so that you and your family can stay safe. They advise to keep food, water, needed medicine, etc. on hand in varying amounts to cope with different sorts of incidents that may occur. Not too long ago, European agencies were advising people to keep a minimum supply of 14 days of food and water for everyone in a household. The old “Doomsday Preppers” jokes were always a fallacy. These things happen and government isn’t capable of doing what people expect as quickly as it is needed.

If you paid attention during hurricane Katrina or have read the after action report from the multi-level governmental emergency preparedness exercise named Cascadia Rising, you should know that bureaucratic government entities are slow moving and ill-prepared to handle a major catastrophe. Their intentions are good, but their capabilities are hamstrung by endemic weaknesses, muddled chains of command, technological incompatibilities and a complicated system of regulations.

In short, always be your own first responder. Have the supplies your family will need. Get to know your neighbors. Make plans to help one another. An excellent creed is: “No one is coming. It’s up to us.”

1 Like

Also see.

1 Like

One thing to be aware of is that some homeowner insurance policies have an out clause if you store flammable materials in your garage. Make sure you read the fine print.

I used to have a work vehicle with a poorly designed venting system. When I worked in the desert at 110 and up the gas in the tank would sometimes start boiling! Not a safe situation. Make sure your storage cans can vent properly and ideally that they vent to a well ventilated space.

2 Likes

I personally think that anyone with kids that doesn’t have at least 3 weeks of food and water on hand should be charged with child endangerment but most people seem happy to trust their children’s well being to our inept government. The federal food reserves are full of a little bit of butter and cheese and a whole lot of IOUs with no reliable plans on how to distribute the little they have.

You would think that after experiencing the minor supply chain disruptions from Covid that people would have learned their lessons. But most have not. Far more serious disruptions are possible, if not likely, from a number of sources in the not too distant future.

2 Likes

I totally agree. For those just starting out, it can seem pretty overwhelming. What if I want food for five people for 30 days (5 ppl for one month should have about 300,000 calories)? I always tell them to diversify and get things that will last and that people will eat. A good start is dried goods (rice, dried beans, flour, etc) and non-pull top canned fruits / vegetables for getting that stored calorie count up. For example, using 2000 kCal / day diet with 1# of uncooked white rice having 1648 kCal you can figure out how much you need. Just figure out the caloric content of your other goods per unit (pound, can, etc.). I recommend vacuum sealing with oxygen absorbers to preserve dried good longer. Water is another story. 150 gallons isn’t that tough to store, but it takes up a significant amount of room.

3 Likes

Think the most important thing is to not get overwhelmed by the end goal. Just focusing on little steps will get most folks in a position to handle most issues pretty quickly. It doesn’t need to cost a lot. I don’t have any of the fancy/expensive “survival” foods. I just slowly stocked up on extras of the things we normally eat and keep rotating. Like you said, pasta, rice, and beans are a great place to start. They store a long time and are still cheap even at today’s inflating prices, especially if you look for sales. Japanese soldiers stuck on islands during WW2 were expected to survive for a year on 50lbs of rice each. Wouldn’t recommend it but it can be done. You just need a way to boil water if the grid goes down. Add in some beans and some grains and a way to bake bread along with some seasonings and you don’t have to come out looking like a skeleton.

For water storage you can often find used food grade jugs and barrels for sale pretty cheap. I live in a dry place so I keep 150 gallons of water in the corners of closets. That is almost a month worth of drinking, cooking and limited flushing for us. Plus we have an underground cistern our well fills up and a small rain catchment setup for the garden.

2 Likes

I easily equate stockpiling supplies just like stockpiling ammo. For those that can’t/don’t want to buy a 1000 rnd case, just buy 1 box at the range to use and 1 to take home. Repeat every range trip and eventually you’ll have a nice little stash.

Same for food. Every trip pick up an extra bag/can/box of the same thing you normally buy and eventually you’ll have a nice stash of the same things you always eat.

4 Likes

The first rule of prep club is you do not talk about prep club. This reminds me of a newspaper article back in 1999 in my town. They front paged a family that converted their home into prep central due to the Y2K scare. All I could think is, well, if it goes bad, I bet half of the city is going to head to that house.

2 Likes

If anyone can survive an apocalypse, it must not be an efficient apocalypse :thinking:

1 Like