Are you Prepared for a Disaster

Cut this from the

LDS

This is a guide the Mormons have available for their members and anyone else that is interested. I think I’m pretty good on these items. I’d be interested to see what other organizations publish for their members.

The full Manual is about 222 pages but has some pretty good stuff in it.

8 Likes

The question “are you prepared for a disaster” cannot be answered honestly unless you describe the level of disaster I have to survive.

Could I survive a week-long power outage? Yes.
Could I survive a year-long power outage? Only if I escaped from New York.
Could I survive a nuclear blast? Maybe, but I’m not sure I’d want to survive.
Could I survive a giant asteroid slamming into the Earth? No.

10 Likes

Very general question my friend, try a little intellectual flexibility when you read these.

3 Likes

I thought I did. My apologies, I thought it was a conversation starter.

4 Likes

Howa’ bout a little disaster prevention knowledge.

If your water heater is in your attic, schedule it to be replaced EVERY 10 years or pay to have it moved to the 1st floor.

If your HVAC air handler is in the attic, every spring snake your drain lines (or blow them out with compressed air)

If you have Quest type plumbing in your house, sell it before the pipes let go.

If you turn the water to your house off at the street open a faucet 1st. BEFORE you turn the water back on, OPEN a faucet.

Cheers,

Craig6

8 Likes

I have been using this list since 2005 and can honestly answer YES to every question. :slightly_smiling_face:
And YES the questions are self explanatory. :thinking:

3 Likes

getting there

4 Likes

Bingo. I will add “and the nature of the disaster”. Let’s review recent events

• are you prepared to 6 months long economic lockdown? a year long?

• do you have a family plan to deal with medical coersion in the workplace, school, place of worship?

• are you prepared for power blackouts while enviro-gestapo forbids running generators

• do you have a long term plan for means of transportation after internal combustion cars are outlawed

• do you have family plan for when private ownership of homes is outlawed

etc. Is this crackpot, or getting as real as a Cat 5 hurricane or F5 tornado in your neighborhood.

6 Likes

HOFyF

11 Likes

Wife could no longer ride her bike so I recently bought recumbent trikes with electric motors. I can charge the batteries with solar. Big upswing in the use of electric bikes around here. The trikes will go 25 miles on electric alone but we pedal using the boost feature and could easily get 100 miles. Cargo trailers are available that bikes can tow so a trip to the store is not a problem if there is anything to buy and you can afford it. I don’t know about anyone else but our food bill has at least doubled and we are careful shoppers.

3 Likes

Same where I live. The traditional bicyclists get annoyed, but there are so many on the trails now that the rule against them is basically obsolete. I might get there one day, but I’m trying to get every mile I can out of my old bike, first. I hope I can afford a recumbent trike next, but I could buy a really nice rifle for the price of a tricycle.

4 Likes

They aint cheap but my wife needed it. Took her a bit to learn but now she loves it. Says it is easier than walking. I had a Greenspeed a few years ago which I loved but almost got hit by cars 3 times. Even with 2 flags on it. The new ones sit considerably higher and are more visible.

2 Likes

Joseph202: How long does it take you to recharge the batteries using only solar. What amperage is your trike. 500, 750, 1000? Do you have a back-up battery to use while your used up battery is re-charging? Do you live in a sunny climate or do you have long dreary winters? Do you ride in the wintertime? I realize this is not an electric bike forum, but I am interested in that mode of transportation in the event of a significant, event ie: CME or EMP. Or even the REALLY BIG ONE that us folks in Kallyfornicadia are constantly threatened with. Actually I think Goobernator Gabby Nuisance is a bigger threat than the REALLY BIG ONE.

1 Like

Us Mid-Westerners have been waiting for years and years for Kallyfornicadia to split off and fall into the Pacific, now we are thinking all the way to Washington. :rofl:

Mormons are excellent when it comes to preparing for disasters.
There is a lot of common sense involved, and, if taken to it’s logical end,
a lot of money.

I have neither the money, nor the space/acreage to ante up.
But common sense preparation, well, I’m all over that.

What preparation I don’t see is a scenario where you’re out somewhere and return to find your home, your town, and everyone in it missing or dead and all the remaining buildings looted of anything of value, including food.
This scenario has sadly happened too many times over the course of recent History and on just about every continent!.
In fact I just finished reviewing a book about just such a calamity.

Sobering stuff.

4 Likes

When I am traveling, I have a “get home bag” and I keep survival gear in the car. Where I live now water is a key item and there are always a few gallons in the car. Tarps for shade are also important. I also keep a solar powered battery pack for the cell phone.
When I lived in snow country I had blizzard box with items to keep me warm and fed if I got stranded. Extra clothing, blankets and tarps. A means to start a fire. A small stove that could burn wood. A cheap pot to melt snow and make tea, hot chocolate, Ramen or other dry foods that would not be affected by cold.
You have to be prepared for situations that could happen and hope they don’t.

5 Likes

Do you?

One of the better books on being prepared is by Stephen Konkoly and one other gentleman. In his book Konkoly recommends first preparing for those things that are certain to happen, ie, if you live in the hurricane zone, prepare for hurricanes. Snow country, prepare for blizzards. Both of those events usually entail loss of electricity for varying periods of time, so preparing for that contingency should be high on your list of things to do to prepare. I won’t review his whole book on here. It is available from Amazon for a nominal price and I highly recommend it for practical survival preparation.

4 Likes

How many people in earthquake country keep a wrench to shut off the natural gas supply? Or a key to the water main? And know where these valves are?

5 Likes

Great point, We do. I have a gas key hidden a couple of feet from the meter and have a wrench for the water meter and a handle to shut off the water inside.

3 Likes