Power and internet outage, what would you do?

Trust me I do understand the far reaching results of an EMP.

I also understand the huge number of people who would learn quickly or not survive.

3 Likes

Internet and power outages reveal how well we can adapt or how prepared we are.
I still have cheapo WiFi provided by a local company. It’s down at least once a day because, according to their tech, the oak trees between my house and their tower interfere with the signal. Not sure how true.

When my kids were still in school, it forced them to learn how to use actual books and know where the public library is located.

I’m a bean counter and I still know how to use 16-column worksheets.

At work, one manager once commented that her kid doesn’t know how to write a check. My daughter’s been writing my checks since she’s eight years old.

3 Likes

The EMP Phenomenon only occurs with an extremely high altitude nuclear explosion (or a solar flare, for which we may have as long as three days notice). It gets sketchy as to weather or not your car would start (they are pretty well insulated for lightning strikes) so a modern car might survive. An older condensor and points ignition system more than likely. The miltary from what I understand does protect their vehicles from emp. Point being, depending on what caused the power outage and dead phones, one could have a long walk home. As far as prep, grab my bag out of my car, and start walking home. From their assess what may have happened. Talk to and consult with neighbors. Typically I will know where my wife is, so we know that the goal is to get home where we have some supplies. BTW, “Jerico” says to Drink Iodine after fallout exposure. WRONG DO NOT DRINK IODINE EVER, unless you have the tablets! Iodine only protects the thyroid, although it may help other organs. It will not prevent radiation sickness, but may reduce the risk of thyroid cancer. To properly dose yourself with iodine in the absence of tablets dip your index finger in it up to the first knuckle, it is absorbed through the skin.

3 Likes

It depends. My previous position had me working far enough away from home that I needed to pack a fairly substantial EDC and get home bag, that took into account greatly varied terrain/obstacles/hazards and alternate routes between point A and B that effectively tripled or more the distance. I only ever lightly tested the load on hikes, though it was my intent to get a drop off at work on a Friday and see how I faired getting home on foot, but that just never got priority.

Now with wfh and sheltering in place, a get home bag takes a new role in the home preparedness, defense and resiliency. I still pack it if I go anywhere further than a few miles from home, but now I have been jogging/pushups with it which is an added 10-15% body weight challenge to my work outs. Now I practice using it as a shield and draw from it while taking the defensive positions in the home.

As far as electric, cellular and internet going out for more than a few hours, then I’d be in minimalist, conservation mode. My paycheck is 100% dependent on the grid, so if it’s down for shtf emp then a new reality has forced our hand. We adapt or die; as humans have excelled at for millennia.

4 Likes

Not only do we have to worry about Russia, China, Iran or NK hitting us with a computer virus or EMP toting weather balloon; we also have to look out for individuals and small groups with their nut job personal agendas.

3 Likes

I would miss all you Guy’s and Gal’s, a lot! :wink: :wink:

4 Likes

We all know that you would miss me the most.

That’s all for tonight, ladies and gentlemen, don’t forget to tip the staff on the way out.

:joy:

3 Likes

Well for me it’s not real involved since I’m retired kids are all grown and live in a different part of the country. I live in hurricane territory so I always have clean water on hand and a minimum of 10 days freeze dried food. I’d fire up my generator which will run the whole house. I have plenty of extra propane on hand for the generator and cooking if I need it. Alcohol stoves, and a pellet grill. We would hunker down and shelter in place. As long as I have not forgot to buy coffee I’m good to go.!

4 Likes

I’d look at my wife with sultry eyes and…. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Power outage I have an inverter in my suburban and an queen air bed an four big truck battery’s and two way radio and five five gallon water bottles and ten cases of ranch beens an LOT OF CANDLES AND A ZIPPO , and led lights and a cd player and a full fifty gallon tank of fuel and plenty of dog food and vitamins and two extra tires on the wheels . And THE BEST PART IS MY BIBLIE . And my land with a 13, foot fence and some propane tanks full and coffee an jerky vacuum sealed and a gallon of wild Turkey for snake bit and checkers and rice so great

You could take all everything that runs off of power and I would never miss it I can hardly smell on here KAZ I just do not care about A.I. and I do not need it every one that was in the 80,could not leave the wall with the phone because of the cord we need to get back to life and get out and smell the flowers and check out what the world is not all about goggling every one and every thing that is truly not anyone’s business to be Bobby frank :mushroom:

I BLEAVE that Not having iPhones would bring us back to gather and then we would have to start talking to each other again and then we could have relationships that really means something because you can’t tell if you are being lied to on your iPhone or if your lien on a text but if you have to talk to a person they will know your hart and feelings PDQ and people would have to be honest once again :100::question:

Smoke signals?
Being married to a Cherokee has its benefits. :wink:

2 Likes