Power and internet outage, what would you do?

I guess thats why they built radios with a hand crank to power it up, as well as flashlights that has a squeeze grip that powers it up, and not to mention battery recharges that are solar powered. These items won’t be effected by mb attack .

1 Like

@Jeff-A1 - I used to make that trek when I did security for our DOD girls and
boys. N bound 95 at 0445 and hope and pray to God for no accidents. :ambulance:

2 Likes

@Mike_T Just a few more years and maybe I can find a greener pasture…

1 Like

(not sure if already discussed, i’m too lazy to look)

Anyone have thoughts on those faraday bags?

2 Likes

Sure enough, my local power company took away our electricity Saturday morning at 8 am sharp. I figured it was a scheduled event that they merely forgot to tell me about. Within ten minutes I had the internet and TVs running. I have 30 photovoltaic panels on my roof and I have a method to take power from them through an inverter at times like that.

2 Likes

It’s happened many time to us.
It is a good reason for keeping a land line and non electric phone systems.
So commo wasn’t a problem.
One summer the power went out in the middle of a heat wave(we’re in a desert).
My bride took our infant and stayed with her dad in another town. I sweated it out 'cause I had to go to work.

We’ve had lots of power failures—I keep our camping gear handy, Coleman doesn’t care about the power grid, I also keep a few kerosene lanterns and stove for back up(the really old camping gear—I have a hard time parting with the stuff!) The unfortunate thing is we have municipal water and if there is no electricity to run the pumps, we’re without, but the State mandated every home keeps a four days supply of bottled water per person so at least temporarily were good to go.

4 Likes

I too work away from home, anywhere in the US on less then a 24 hour notice. This is one of my biggest concerns, how to get home if SHTF. Told to wife if that happens, go to her brothers and hunker down. It might take me a couple days or so but I will get home.

5 Likes

On my wish list is a Honda Inverter.
Our farm was off the grid so I used a Coleman generator to power the well for many, many years.
In fact I used to to death—it wasn’t worth rebuilding.
I miss having a genset for just such predicaments.

2 Likes

Love the tv series Jericho which introduced me to EMP. Not sure how accurate it was but it forced me to research and be more alert. I looked at emergencies like Katrina with a new sense of awareness.
Gradually, I followed FEMA advice on stocking up on essential supplies without my family noticing.

Just before the stay at home order was implemented, I quietly bought extra food items short of hoarding. My wife thought I overreacted when it was at the time, “only for 14 days.”
More than three months later, I’m still well stocked and will be ok until after the elections are over… although the rioting and looting caught me off-guard. I have enough ammo but wish I bought more. Remember ammo being scarce back in 2013 or 2014?

I was preparing for an outside attack (NoKor). Surprised that it would come from a stroke of a pen, our state governors giving us a firsthand experience of what being under siege is like.
With this pandemic affecting us all, my family is now more educated on the preparations I made.

3 Likes

EMP could be a civilization ender.

6 Likes

Civilization ender? I doubt it. There have been past civilizations that had much less to work with than the Edison bulb.

In the Army (Signal Corps) we had plans for protecting our commo equipment from EMP

2 Likes

But, civilization, as defined by the iPhone crowd, will cease.

3 Likes

You say that like not having smart phones would be a bad thing.

3 Likes

Laugh, but I’ve seen kids that can’t drive to school without putting it into ‘Maps’ first…

3 Likes

Oh I so believe you and I say again, would that be such a bad thing?

No one would know how to get to the protest place, they would not know what to say once they got there.

No games to play to distract them.

Hell, people might actually have to learn to think just like in the medieval times (you know back in the 70s and 80s before cell phones)

5 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

While I understand how this could be taken as a joke but I am not 100% sure I am joking

4 Likes

It’s the irony of the truth behind it that makes me laugh. Almost as in the spirit of if you dont laugh you’ll cry.
No offense intended and apologies if any was taken

3 Likes

What is needed is an analog back up for small businesses.

Customers who can pay cash.
Employees who can make change( or at least operate a manual credit card machine.)
Secretaries who can answer phones without 9 separate lines.
Even gas pumps used to have cranks for pumping gas without power,

If commerce can continue relatively unscathed, it won’t be so bad of an inconvenience,

2 Likes

I can see some don’t understand some just how bad and how far reaching an EMP event would be.

3 Likes