Possible legal support for Red Flag Laws?

My question is really geared towards USCCA decision makers. Concerning the red flag laws if they are passed. Basically from what I’ve read so far any persons can make a complaint to a judge saying you are an endangerment to yourself and others and the judge can legally issue your guns to be confiscated even though you have no prior felonies, mental health or domestics. That’s insane! My question is will possibly our USCCA membership include legal support if we find ourselves in a RED FLAG case down the road cause the way it sounds it can possibly affect a lot of current legal law abiding gun owners, if they the anti gun lobbyists get their way. God forbid they get their way!

19 Likes

@Chanthala If you have a specific question for USCCA use @moderators and for the community use @Tim_D_USCCA .
This question came up in 2019 and it was in the works but I never heard if it was implemented into our policy. :us:
Or call 1-800-674-9779.

DawnUSCCA Employee

Jan '20

The USCCA Legal Defense Foundation would possibly be able to assist you if that happened, @Bradey, those situations are handled on a case by case basis. You can find details here:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/foundation/

3 Likes

This is also a thing

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/about/foundation/

2 Likes

The Federal Government is giving States Red Flag Law money. If the States take the money allocated for Red Flag law then the Federal Government can pressure the States to enforce it more. Who would dictate if we receive the Red Flag money the Governor or the AG? If State does not accept money the Federal Government can’t put Red Flag law over our heads in my opinion

6 Likes

Delta Defense, Service Provider of the USCCA does not support Red Flag laws and is working to understand how these fluid laws will affect our responsibly armed community. If someone was victim of an unfounded Red Flag Law Confiscation, the USCCA Legal Defense Foundation, which has existed since 2011, may be able to assist. After application and approval from the foundation, they would receive financial assistance to help find a resolution.

11 Likes

Hi Chanthala! As Nathan, Bruce, and Calvin mentioned, that is one of the primary purposes of the USCCA Legal Defense Foundation. Here is part of the description on why the foundation exists:

"The USCCA Legal Defense Foundation* exists to help responsible gun owners fight unmeritorious prosecution and unconstitutional administrative actions like emergency risk protection orders (also known as ERPOs or “red flag” laws), improper gun confiscation and unfounded concealed carry permit revocation.’

You can see more about that from the links above as well. I hope that helps some!

6 Likes

Red flag laws were ruled unconstitutional by all nine members of the SCOTUS a few years ago. How they can pass this “law” is beyond me. Its like they make crap up as they go along anymore.

11 Likes

This demonstrates the disconnect that we currently have between the Legislative Branch (Congress) and the Judicial Branch (SCOTUS). One is conservative, and the other is liberal. IMHO, Our government is currently out of balance, which is why we are seeing some of the turbulence in government, economy, public health, etc. Not all of it can be blamed on government, but the current dissent within the government branches ( and the media) does make things worse.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I see how the majority of the legislature not liking the two days ago decisions from the judicial has anything to do with the current economy

1 Like

Isn’t this guy a member of MS-13?

No red flags here!

5 Likes

I think part of their calculation is the amount of time that it will take for the new “law” to make it to the SCOTUS. The recent NY case was first filed in 2019, and we finally have a ruling in 2022. Time is on the anti-2nd side, took a few weeks to introduce and pass the “law” and it will take years to get it to the SCOTUS.

5 Likes

This assumes no lower courts strike the law down by doing their job and utilizing the recent SCOTUS ruling in their decision process

5 Likes

I don’t thing the Red Flag Laws re right because you can get mad at someone who has guns and say he pointed one at you and they will take your guns away.

4 Likes

Agreed people can and will make up stories if they have a grudge towards someone this can get very ugly if the Red Flag laws get passed for responsible gun owners. It’s just wrong.

3 Likes

I don’t thing

That’s the whole point, they don’t need to declare a confiscation, they just need to pit neighbor against neighbor, brother against brother, just like the Nazis did.
Making up stories is the easy part.

Watch, because @Robert_G spelled think wrong he may be unstable, call in a SWAT team. Who needs “due process” , buy back programs or a crime?

Say! I think I just solved Americas gang problems. ( maybe this can work in our favor ) I’m sure gang affiliation qualifies as an ERPO by definition.

( laws" to remove access to firearms from individuals who are considered a danger to themselves or others. )

One phone call to any local Sheriffs department in a gang controlled area should reduce crime and so called “gun violence” by, I don’t know, maybe 96%. What are we waiting for? Prove me wrong.

Is this guy a danger to others or not? How many people has he gotten killed? There are so many like him. They want “red flags” there’s an entire administration and a majority of a party that are a danger to others!

No danger here, tell me what exactly makes them immune? AOC is call for violence publicly, is that not dangerous to the average citizen?

4 Likes

makes me happy that I joined…

2 Likes

also makes me happy I joined…

3 Likes

“The writing is on the wall”; “The glass is half full”.

Feels like I was born with Red Flag Laws; I’m used to it. Don’t know any other life.

I try to stay sane, mentally fit, cause no one problems, and keep my mouth shut bout what I gots.

The moment I stray, I worry – don’t like worrying. :nerd_face:

1 Like

The blame can be squarely laid right at the liberal leftist that have a rabid my way or go away” attitude towards politics and life in general. If you agree with them, live your life under their doctrines and ideas all is go an you are fine. But as soon as you don’t agree with THEM, you’re a pariah, hated an cast out to be ridiculed and lambasted by all! That has taken over the democrat party, who are very anti-American, that shows in their every action that is counter to every word in The Constitution! Who will never compromise!

5 Likes