Police Trade Ins?

I’m interested in getting a glock. I don’t really need a glock… but I would love to have a glock. I would like something reliable enough to carry. Are there any opinions on police trade ins? If you do think it’s a good idea, where is the best place to buy them? Some of these online gun buying websites make me uncomfortable.

3 Likes

KYGunCo has police trades every now and then. I would not be afraid of one. Modern polymer guns are easy to change out parts in. The main parts to watch are the magazine springs, and the recoil springs. Both of these are easy to remedy.

5 Likes

This might be an option for you as well.

2 Likes

Recoil Gun Works has a lot of Police Trade-In Glocks.
https://www.recoilgunworks.com/police-tradein-guns-c-132.html

2 Likes

Hmmm sounds like the S&W SD VE

1 Like

Police trade ins CAN be really great deals. If an agency switches from, lets say Glock to Sig, they will sell off all their Glocks. There will be some that were used by their SWAT team that has tens of thousands of rounds through it. But most of them will be scarcely used and at the most will have some holster wear. Police shootings get a lot of attention, but they aren’t actually all that common (well, unless it’s LAPD or something) and many police don’t train with high round counts. So most of their firearms will be very low round counts. Also, those PDs will usually have an armorer that takes care of routine maintenance.

3 Likes

My plan was to buy a police trade in online from recoil gun works. By the time I factored in shipping and the transfer fee, I was close to the price of buying new, so I just bought new. If you can get one without paying a $50 transfer fee, you will make out very well. If you need to pay the fee, you will get it a little cheaper.

3 Likes

I actually got on their site, was tempted to buy, then factored that all in as well. I really don’t need another striker fires gun. Was just trying to justify it some way :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

I have 2 a G21 .45acp and a G22 .40sw that I converted to a 9mm.

I buy mine from my local FFL dealer, Turner’s Outdoorsman. As soon as they get them they usually go fast with the G17 and G19 9mm. The G21 lasts a bit longer and the G22s sit there the longest.

They usually have 1 mag, and factory night sights.

I like mine, they’ve given no problems or issues.

3 Likes

So Did the math, I found one for about $295 glock $30 for 3 mags $35 transfer $20 shipping.

It’s really a good deal, but it’s still not exactly cheap.

1 Like

Was that a glock 23? That’s still a good $100+ cheaper than new.

2 Likes

As stated, most will be low round count (comparatively) and should provide a lot of service, esp for the person that buys, shoots a couple boxes and the sticks it in the nite stand or carries without ongoing continuous practice. Given Glocks history, odd are against anybody wearing one out (competition shooters excepted)

2 Likes

It’s a glock 22.

2 Likes

A police trade in could be an excellent value, or not.
I wouldn’t consider one for defensive use without inspecting the “litter” in person first..

3 Likes

I’m with you on that, @John292. I don’t like the idea of purchasing a firearm sight unseen.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t trust any online purchased, used gun for defense, until it had proven reliable either. Of course, I don’t trust a brand new gun for defense, until it has proved reliable either.

3 Likes

I have a couple police trade in Glocks - low round count, and one came with an upgraded match barrel. Any used gun has the same considerations… what kind of shape is it in? round count? wear and care? But that said, I’ve had ZERO problems with mine.

2 Likes

It is a Glock… replace a few springs, maybe the barrel, and there you go. And I suspect it would take a LOT of rounds to wear a barrel out.

3 Likes

I just watched some videos, and this gun is on my radar. I don’t own a glock 17. If this gun is successful, I’ll consider it.

1 Like