Pocket Dump: Tech Gadgets & Apps

From your cellphone’s camera to the panic button on your car’s key fob, there are a lot of technology items that can help you stay safe and protect yourself.

What are your favorite tech gadgets or apps to help you do so?

5 Likes

5-0 Radio and Citizen apps for my IPHONE. Pretty useful “tools”.

2 Likes

My only tech gadget is my lap top and my Samsung TV, I reckon you could call my flip phone one also, but I use it as a phone only. No voice mail, no text and no E-Mail - no anything. If you want to talk to me you had better keep calling until I answer. Electronics paid the bills since 1966 and if you have not figured it out yet, I HATE COMPUTERS

2 Likes

Well, I hadn’t, but I am intensely curious as to why. I have worked in IT since 1979.

4 Likes

The fob that unlocks the gun safe in my car so I can get to my AR-15 pistol… Does that count?

3 Likes

My first computer class was around 1975.

1 Like

I would add home alarm systems to the list. The sensors on cameras, door, window and motion sensors give me a lot of information about what is happening around the house and out buildings.

2 Likes

USCCA app on my phone. Also the POSTED app, helps me know what places don’t want me in there with my gun, making them unsafe. Also the Find My app. It’s how I track my family. In case of an emergency, I can find them, even get a GPS location that will take me to them.

2 Likes

I sometimes use the police scanner app you can download on your phone because you will be informed of incidents in your area. Also the GPS to help you get located if there’s a problem.

2 Likes

Not related to SD, but something I use to track down insulation issues on houses is a Flir One camera connected to my smart phone. I think it is pretty neat. It gives a pretty good heat signature mixed in with a secondary visual spectrum camera. Here’s a test pic of a second floor furnace room/closet:

I have the older Flir One Gen 2 for Android:

2 Likes

Yeah, $399.00

2 Likes

IIRC, I picked it up on sale a couple years back for around $250.

2 Likes