Pocket Dump: Firesteel

There’s more to our EDC than just firearm-related items. There are a lot of small survival items we can carry with us every day and not even notice them - until we need them. (Click here for a discussion about a mini survival kit that Mike from our Training Team carries.)
One item that is in Mike’s kit, but that you might want to carry separately if you don’t want a kit like Mike has, is a firesteel.
Image from Amazon

Do you carry a firesteel or another sort of fire starter?

4 Likes

Yep, but it’s in my get home bag, not my EDC. Fire steel and striker, magnesium chips, tinder wicks, waterproof matches in a waterproof case.

Survival Supply TinderQuik Firestarting Tabs

Stormproof Match Kit with Waterproof Case

Emergency Fire Starting Magnesium 8

Bought a fire piston to use with char cloth but haven’t been able to get it to work… more news on that when I do.

3 Likes

I actually do, but only because it’s part of my “tactical pen.” The pen has a ferro rod and since I carry it in a pouch with my multi-tool I keep the striker in there as well.

Otherwise I’m not sure I would. Flint & steel is good old school tech (one that I make sure all my Scouts are proficient at), but as I tell them, in an emergency/survival situation, nothing beats some waterproof matches. So I carry those (along with flint/steel and fire starters and a couple of lighters) in my truck along with a couple candles in my get home bag and another set under the seat (two is one, one is none).

1 Like

yes. I carry regular cheap cigarette lighter all the time…

2 Likes

Yes, magnesium firestarter,wrapped in Paracord that can be unwound into firestarter fluff and fishing line with 2 hooks and cork.

2 Likes

I have a 1/2" x 6" Ferro Rod in my get home bag, plus a magnesium block. Word to the wise, it absolutely takes practice to use. Any novice can get sparks, but to direct them and actually get fire from them takes practice.

3 Likes

Thanks Spence, :us_outlying_islands:

1 Like

When I am going somewhere in the woods I like to keep a lighter in a pocket of every article of clothing. I also have 2 lighters and a box of matches with tinder in my get home bag.

2 Likes

I have so many butane torch lighters (think cigar torches not those crappy bics) stashed in kit.

1 Like