Pistol Mounted Optics the New Way?

Just curious, about y’all’s opinions on pistol mounted optics.

I lean towards old school, irons don’t run out of batteries. BUT playing with an optic on my rifle the other day made me realize that the red dot is quicker to acquire and line up with both eyes open.

What are y’all’s thoughts?

Some of those optics have solar panels to keep rechargeable batteries charged.

1 Like

I absolutely believe pistols mounted with optics are here to stay. I was trained by an old school father who believed all pistols are good as long as they are .45 acp.
I had the pleasure to train at schools like Gunsite, Frontsite, and with other schools and instructors BEFORE the huge craze of pistols mounted with dots.

Having shot irons in competition and training for many years I had no interest in running a dot until I trained with Suarezinternational, specifically Gabe Suarez himself and getting a smoking deal on an Glock milled for a Trijicon RmR.

Many years later and having run several different makes and models of dot pistols with tens of thousands of rounds, it is my opinion that if your NOT running a red dot equipped pistol you are severely limiting your shooting abilities.

2 Likes

Holy Hand Grenade Batman??? why ask? do you need validation from a bunch of strangers? Listen bud…you do you. If you want to buy an optic for your pistol…it’s your money and YOU are the only one YOU need to worry about…unless you’re married and then I’d include spouse also.

Has anyone noticed how many people post similar questions on here? Seriously…make a choice and live with it. If you’re asking about specific optics over another, sure…if you’re asking about issues people have had…sure. However, seriously look at how many people in the last 3 months have asked some wishy washy question as if we have to validate their choice to buy something only they’ll use. I quit counting.

Those are MY thoughts. does it help you?

1 Like

The trolls be in full force these days :rofl::joy::rofl::joy:.

If you didn’t want to discuss optic use, you could have kindly skipped over this thread.

No?

5 Likes

I am certainly curious to hear about others experiences with pistol optics. It is an expensive rabbit hole to jump down so would like to figure out if it might be worth it for me before throwing money at it. It does seem to be the way of the future. There was a time a few decades ago when most people used open sights on their rifles. Now it is fairly rare to see a rifle at the range or in the field without a scope or red dot.

My specific questions would be: How much harder are they to conceal? Think pocket carry would be hard to pull off with an optic. Just how much do they improve speed and accuracy? How durable and reliable are they?

My next pistol purchase will likely be for one that is optic ready in case I decide to go that way.

1 Like

Pious Pic-i-nic Basket, Boo Boo Bear! That was a lot of text from someone suggesting it’s not worth a reply, wasn’t it?

I love my red dot, although the purist in me keeps telling me not to turn my back on iron sights. I don’t have enough overall experience to compare acquisition speeds, but I do find the red dot to be a lot of fun.

Battery management, as I understand, has come a long way, particularly with sights that “sleep” after a couple of minutes of no movement. I guess that doesn’t mean much if you’re using a red dot on your carry gun.

Pretty sure red dots will only proliferate further, and some day even your average park ranger will be carrying them.

I’m curious right now how long does it take to be convinced to use optics? How much time do we need to make a good transition from iron sights to optic?

I’m a fresh shooter, 2 years in firearm’s business, shooting iron sights all the time. However it should be easy to start using optics… but it is not. I tried it and didn’t like it. I’m wondering why…
I can understand people shooting 10, 20 and more years, never using optics, that iron sights are still path to go… but what about fresh shooters?
Any reason one person likes, another doesn’t like optics? I wouldn’t call it “personal preferences”, looks like optics are the “next level”. So where is the problem?
Hopefully it doesn’t mean I’m getting older… :thinking: :smirk: :man_facepalming:

On the first part of your question on how long it will take to make a transition I have to say it depends on the shooters desire to transfer honestly. If they see or feel the need they will make it happen. We are all influenced by others in some way or another, if we see our favorite instructor or our good friend or loved one using something new and doing well we start asking questions and become interested.

My wife is a great example here, she is very set in her ways in pistol shooting. Her belief is if it isn’t broken don’t fix it. How I have been transitioning her to become more proficient with the dot is to get her to use it every time we go out. I believe once you have decided to make the transition you are better off sticking to just the dot and not going back and forth. She has told me she really doesn’t like the dot as it seems to just move around and she still reverts to trying to focus on the dot as a front sight which is WRONG. I have to continually remind her that every one has “wobble”, and to target focus shoot, just let the “dot” hover in the middle of the target as you stare at the target.

I belive shooters new to running a dot that have trained to only front sight focus shoot will have a harder time. To become better, every time you practice whether live or dry fire, spend as much time as possible teaching yourself to threat focus and just let the dot be there, it’s amazing seeing a new dot shooter have their moment when it just happens.

The one thing I have seen and heard from my wife and others new with the dot is the “wiggle”. All shooters have this wiggle some just more than others. It can seem intimidating at first but with practice and understanding you have the same amount of wiggle with irons, the dot just let’s you see it more.

The pros of running a red dot equipped pistol far outweigh the negatives in modern defensive shooting. Look at it like this, what pros does a red dot bring to a rifle? All the pros are the same as are the negatives.

We tested some new shooters with irons and a red dot and almost every single one shot better with the dot. It was much easier explaining to them just put the dot on the target as you stare where you want to hit and press the trigger smoothly vs "Focus on the front site, equal height, equal light, etc etc.

As this has gotten long winded I’ll end with this, everyone has the ability to run the dot and with the right practice and attitude you will be a better and more proficient shooter, you just have to learn this,

Target/threat focus when shooting
Accept there will be “wobble” in the dot
Don’t let the dot intimidate you.

Hope this helps

3 Likes

That has to be a personal preference. I see them as here to stay. It will be like the riflescope, where they will be a there, but with backups, or with the ability to co-witness, etc. But as more people use them you will see the acceptance increase as well as some more standardization, primarily in mounting.

That said, I will not have one on my carry gun. I do have some handguns with them, but it does not work for me in a carry situation, and it is not because of a distrust of batteries or anything related to the device. My reason is because of my body, particularly my eyes. I have an astigmatism that is corrected by glasses. I really dont need glasses otherwise, so there are two places I wear glasses. #1, I wear them at work, #2, my shooting glasses are prescription so I am corrected for it. That said, if I do not wear my glasses, the astigmatism makes the dot look like a fuzzy figure 8. So, since I carry anywhere and everywhere (even at work), but only wear glasses at work and the range, there is a 99% chance that if I were ever required to use my carry firearm, I will not have my glasses on. Sure, one could argue that a fuzzy figure 8 is precise enough, but you never know.

Thx @americanwolfman , your post will help for sure. Right now it helped to understand. I think you have also explained my problem.
For now, because I shoot 3, sometimes 4 different pistols, I won’t be able to change my habit and will still use iron sights. There is no way I can setup optics on all of my firearms and I don’t want to confuse my brain with 2 different options.

It seems to be easy transition since I’m mostly focusing on the target during defensive shooting. So instead of aligned sights, put the dot on the target. Well, first step done - CONVINCED . :wink: Second step - :dollar: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: … waiting… Then - practice and enjoy :muscle:

One huge handgun’s improvement with optics: it so easy to rack the slide. :metal: Doesn’t matter what handgun’s model, recoil spring weight or slide size and serrations…

1 Like

Glad I could help

1 Like

I say, learn proper technique with iron sights, then take your pick. That way, if there is a problem with your optic, you are efficient with the irons. It’s like learning to drive a stick. Anyone can’t drive an automatic, if you can drive stick, auto is super easy.

1 Like

Answer to Pistol Optics… but first "members want conversation, comradeship, chum around on the comments, ask about Optics… Great to know your here.

Optics: For my use as carry no optics, Springfield XDs .45… shooting stats describe 3-5’… close enough to grab your gun. That’s point and shoot. Try Front Sight Defensive Handgun Training if you get to NV, it brings out everyone’s confidence and relieves anxiety for what happens when the smoke clears.
Kind Regards,
Doug

What the hell is wrong with asking for another peoples opinions and experience on a matter this crucial (potentially life or death).

“'Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others. '”
-Otto Von Bismarck

Iron Sight vs. Red Dot

1 Like

Well this was not what I expected, I thought it was about a new way to mount optics on a pistol

1 Like

Welcome to the internet. :joy:

2 Likes

You asked for my thoughts and now you call me a troll? Isn’t that name calling? I was accused recently of name calling for pointing out someone was stupid or they were an idiot because by definition the word applied perfectly to them. Okie Dokie…but I’m not trolling, I honestly felt it was a silly question that you yourself need to decide FOR yourself. I never went around asking people if I should wear boxers, boxer briefs, tighty whities, or go commando…I just tried each out and made a decision.

Sorry you didn’t like my opinion.

I have trained at Frontsite and Gunsite as well as some other schools. Trust me the statistics are not always right, 3-5’? Well I have personally been in a couple armed encounters and one happened where I had nothing but my 1911 and the other guy had an AK, around 70 yds away, I would of loved to of had my rifle or even a red dot equipped pistol that day. Do you understand how much a front sight covers on a partial target that far?

Now I know that this incident is astronomically rare, but it has already happened to me once, don’t wanna let that happen again. I will take ANY advantage I can get.

1 Like