Pistol Mounted Optics the New Way?

I’m on a gun forum… I use this forum to talk about guns.

Trying out different underwear = like $20-30. Trying an optic is $200-$500 for an optic, plus the price of an optic cut which is $200-300, or buying a new gun with both.

1 Like

Just to interject a little, why would someone on a gun and informational forum not ask someone who has something what they feel about it and any pros or cons involved before dropping a bunch of money on an investment that may not suit their needs, thats what I thought this was for?

4 Likes

Oh, boy.
So…
One thing I have not seen mentioned is dot size.
You pick a size that works for you and your intended use.
I would urge you to take a hard look at the 1 mil dots however.
They may seem a bit small at first, but you can dial up the intensity if you need something “bigger” or keep it down for some amazingly precise shooting at distance.

Good luck and have fun.

I do currently run 1 moa trijicon rmrs on 2 of my pistols and 2 moa dots on the rest, good call on the mention of dot size.

Eww, you try out underwear?

1 Like

I handled a the new M&P optic ready model yesterday. I think they upgraded the front serrations and they even upgraded the slide release. It’s around $550. I’d pick it up if I was really sold on Optics. I don’t want to carry suppressor high night sights while I make that decision either. Cool looking gun though.

I want to see what smith announces tomorrow before I consider spending my communist pay check.

1 Like

So do y’all see a decrease in comfort from the RMR, and is there any issue switching to irons if necessary?

I went out with my neighbor who brought his SA XD Elite with the suppressor height sights and I found it very easy to acquire the targets with.

1 Like

I didn’t have an issue from an optic to irons, the optic is your dot, turn off the dot and you are still looking at the front sight.

1 Like

They just look funny to me, but I guess it’s a good value though because the only thing the gun would need is an optic.

I like the serrations on the front, though I don’t really care for them either way.

2 Likes

Anyone have issues with their optic fogging up? Or a piece of lint messing up the light?

My biggest issue with optics are this,

It’s another thing to maintain and it’s a piece of technology that has a number of potential failures.

There do seem to be some pros, particularly being able to focus on the target over focusing on the front sight, which I think could be huge.

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you went to the range? Is there an insecurity with your performance on the range that you are trying to fix with a pistol component? Is the component going to fix an issue that more practice or better training with your current setup will not fix? Will a new component still require a similar change in your technique to garner the performance you desire?

Like anything new, one needs to evaluate what they have, what needs to change, and what they are trying to accomplish with their tool set. I’m just wondering in this case, if you are chasing after a component, model, caliber, etc. that might improve your performance by whatever metric you are using when enhancing your technique might be a better option. If so, it might be better to maximize your performance with what you have before trying to purchase a component that might or might not have a significant impact on your current deficits.

There are a number of instructors on the forum that I’m sure would be happy to refer you to training that should increase your skill set, as well as shift your priorities when it comes to what and when to spend your money on “enhanced” components.

I went to the range today. I just enjoy talking about gear. I probably won’t change anything. There’s no reason to fix what’s not broken.

But I know there’s a lot more people running optics these days than a few years ago.

3 Likes