Physical Fitness Aspect of Self-Defense

Lol! Its from Despair.com. The website is full of demotivational posters. Its full of backwards- and half-truths. Meant to be funny, but with some underlying honesty.

1 Like

I get that feeling @Dawn, I have a great place to work as well my SVP, GM, and Director are very supportive and very personable. Very much a family environment.

Very cool story I love the Blue Angels and found out my GM’s father was a Combat Navy pilot in Vietnam. He had an incredible career, he was also a Blue Angel and his call sign was “Maverick”. He passed away last year here’s a bit of his story. Lt Commander “Maverick”

As a member of the Blue Angels, “Maverick” flew in 160+ airshows, notably the Paris International Airshow of 1965, which solidified the Blues as world-famous and garnered him a personal invitation to The White House from President Johnson. He received his BA degree in International Affairs/Political Science from the University of Rhode Island and is also a graduate of the Naval War College. His combat missions numbered 198 and during his career he was recognized with the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with silver star, Navy Commendation Medal, Navy Unit Commendation (2 awards), Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with 3 bronze stars, National Defense Service Medal, and Armed Forces Expeditionary medal (Korea).

3 Likes

20190320_174330 I’m just starting to workout again. I did some log PT today after shooting. I like this whole using my gun club as a gym idea.

1 Like

I injured my lower back about a year ago, just unloading laminate flooring out of my truck, as I’ve done probably a 100 times before. This was the second time I had injured it like this, the first was just going to hard on dead lifts years ago. The pain only lasted a month a first time. But last year, it came and went for 3 months, and would start from my lower back and shoot down to my knees or he feet. I was wearing a lifting belt throughout the day, and the only pain free position was lying on the floor.

Fortunately my office had a pain and spine doctor as my neighbor (many of his clients are combat sports professionals). He had me on an inversion table, and after a couple minutes on one I’d be pain free for 30 minutes to an hour. He also introduced me to the reverse hyper machine. The first time I used one, my lower back felt like it got covered in icy hot. I ended up buying both pieces of equipment, and using both twice a day, once when I woke up and again before I slept. After about 2 months, I basically made a full recovery. I still use both before and after my squat/deadlift workouts, and now I’m moving more weight than pre injury, and staying pain free.

IMO - physical exercise is important. There are some very basic easy self-defense techniques that do not require strength and endurance. If you take a little time to easily learn one or two techniques you can totally disabled someone with one hand movement ( it’s no bull, it works ) a good kick in the nuts works too but that’s not what I mean. https://youtu.be/MYUJkLHIzr4. <<< CLICK HERE.

:us::us::us:

@45IPAC is right!

In my early 50’s I lifted weights on a 4 day cycle; Back & Biceps, Chest & Triceps & Shoulders, Legs, Rest, and repeat. In addition, I got up at 5:00 and ran 3 miles 5 days a week. Most weekends I would go for a slower longer run before the rest of the family got out of bed. I got a sinus infection and was prescribed the highest dose of Levaquin antibiotic - 1 pill/day for 5 days. It crippled me. I struggled to walk from my car to my desk and took the elevator rather than stairs for years. I was unable to walk up the stairs to see my son’s boot camp quarters at his graduation.

I joined LA Fitness because they have a 75’ pool. Swimming laps in that pool was a critical part of my years of recovery. Initially it was one of the hardest (and embarrassing) things I’ve undertaken. The embarrassing part was trying to teach myself the flip turn. I’d come up and see people turned around laughing! I never did master the flip turn :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I want to be humble about physical fitness. I have been blessed with good health, but many people have not, for a variety of reasons. It could be injury, illness, age, environment, diet, lifestyle, even genetics. Some people can make lifestyle changes and improve their physical well-being, but others cannot. And some people will work twice as hard to get to a level of physical fitness that I take for granted.

I also know many people who are much, much more fit than I am. But I see how much time and work it takes to reach that level of fitness, and frankly, I don’t want it that bad.

All that aside, Colt made us equal. A fat, old, injured, weak grandmother in a wheelchair can have the same level of lethal self-defense protection that I can, and I can have the same level as a super-fit gym rat. Are we all equally as capable? Of course not. I have options that grandma doesn’t because I’m not bound to a wheelchair. Gym Sparticus over here might not need to draw his firearm on me because he can simply crush me with his bare hands. But any one of us might have a concealed firearm, and that should make bad guys think twice.

Reading the list of replies the one thing I didn’t see to much of was, PSYCHOLOGICAL FITNESS. I believe there is a great strength in that area that needs to be exercised just as much, if not more.