Permanent Resident - Constitutional Carry in FL

So, I am a permanent resident (green card holder) I own a handgun, but I do not have a conceal carry permit. I understand that in July 1st, permitless carry will be official in Florida. Will I as a permanent resident (green card holder) also be lawfully able to conceal carry a weapon without a permit?

Thank you,

7 Likes

I Am Not A Lawyer

House Bill 543 (2023) - The Florida Senate (flsenate.gov)

_h0543er.docx (flsenate.gov)

Good question. I don’t have the answer. But if you click the 2nd link above, you can read the last version of the bill. Search for 790.01 to get the rules for carrying.

Paragraph 790.013 is the part that deals with carrying without a permit. It doesn’t mention citizenship or residency.

Paragraph 790.015 deals with non-residents, and seems to state that a permit is still required.

You’re in a grey area as a resident but non-citizen. I want to say you’re covered under 790.013 so long as you have a valid identification, but I’m not an attorney. I’ll be curious to see how this law is interpreted and enforced.

4 Likes

Welcome @Jonatan1!

The permitless carry law states that in order to carry concealed without a permit, you must meet all requirements to get a CWL in Florida.

Being a legal resident alien does not prohibit you from getting a CWL, so you should be able to conceal carry without a permit starting July 1st provided you meet all other requirements.

Remember that there are 2 places you are not allowed to conceal carry without a license: 1) within 1000 feet of a school, 2) property of a religious institution.

9 Likes

And no carry, with or without the license, in the Post Office, airports, seaports, any other federal institution, including nature centers in parks, police stations, jails… Its a long list!

5 Likes

You’re looking good per this:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html

FL gave me a CCL permit, as an out of state resident. So anytime anyone from FL needs help, I got your back. Be well friend.

4 Likes

@Jonatan1 Welcome to the community, looks like you’ll be ok after July 1rst, carry on safely, man I wish we had permitless carry in NM! :disappointed:

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s legal to carry in church in Florida. A couple important places not mentioned are events like sporting events and concerts, plus bars, including the bar area of restaurants.

4 Likes

PDA3. I BLEAVE that if you. Can STOP A ROUND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CARRY A FIRE ARM, IF YOU ARE NOT A CRIMINAL :bangbang: DEFINITELY DEFEND YOUR SELF AND YOUR FAMILY :100::bangbang::latin_cross::us: THIS IS AMERICA :us: SO CHASE THAT DREAM AND I HAVE YOUR BACK I AM AN AMERICAN :us: AS APPLE PIE. Bobby Jean welcome to my country ENJOY OUR FREEDOM GOD BLESS AMERICA :us: THE LAND OF THE FREE AND HOME OF THE BRAVE. AMEN :us::100::latin_cross::owl::feather::feather::chile:

@Joseph488 Without a CWFL, you cannot carry in a property owned by a religious institution.

Most importantly, there are two places the holder of a CWFL can lawfully carry a firearm while a person carrying under Florida’s permitless carry law will be committing a crime, up to a federal felony. The first is in a “Gun-Free School Zone.” This includes the area within 1,000 feet of a school. The second, is on the property of any religious institution. When passing the new permitless carry law, the legislators did not amend the fairly recent “Church Carry Law” to include those who carry without a permit. Therefore, if you carry on the property of a religious institution that also has a school on the property, even if the school is NOT currently in session, you better make sure you have a CWFL.

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying that!

3 Likes

Permanent Resident , I BLEAVE that if you pay attention to the LAW and have RESPECT AND HONOR , AND YOU ARE NOT :100::bangbang: TRYING TO LOOK LIKE A CRIMINAL , and always BE RESPONSIBLE AND RESPECT FULL TO, ANY ONE ELSE :bangbang: YOU SHOULD BE JUST FINE :bangbang::us::latin_cross: ITS GETTING SCARY VERY VERY AND PEOPLE ARE AFRAID , and JUST ACT, RIGHT , AND BE RIGHT , NO, ALCOHOL OR DRUGS, and HAVE A RETENTION STRAP, TO SUCQUR TO KEEP YOUR WEPON WHERE NO ONE CAN JUST TAKE IT CARRY YOUR SELF, AS GOOD SENSE, AND UNDERSTAND WHAT THE LAW SAYS, AND NEVER ARGUE WITH THE LAW ENFORCEMENT , AND YOU ARE NOT THE PROBLEM , AND NEVER HAVE A STOLEN OR GOST, FIREARM,JUST DO NOT SCARE OR TAKE OUT YOUR WEPON , NOT EVEN IF ASKED , AND YOU SHOULD BE JUST FINE , STAY SAFE , AND GET TRAINED BY A GREAT GROUP YOU CAN LOOK ON LINE THEY HAVE SOME GREAT TRAINING :bangbang::100::us:LIKE. THAT GREAT BUNCH OF PEOPLE :bangbang::100::us::latin_cross: USCCA ,:us::us::us::bangbang:

1 Like

Welcome

2 Likes

Wish we had it WI.

2 Likes

IDK, however from what I read, you can apply for a FL conceal carry permit. I’m not sure a permitless law starting 7-1-23 would allow “you” to carry CCW. I wouldn’t know either way.

Others might have found data; Might I suggest you read up on the “source”? To gain all of the benefits, would applying for a CCL Permit now be valuable or helpful?

I think you bring up an interesting point also in that, why should anyone residing in a permitless state, even apply for or renew their CCL Permit? Millions of good folks might wanna read up as to why. More reciprocity? Other gains? IDK.

Once when I made a suggestion on these pages, trying to offer help to someone, thinking he wanted to stay out of trouble, I didn’t realize he was actually looking for a fight against the law and his employer.

No political opinion here, just wondering about options, pro’s, con’s, and navigating the system.

Good luck. :blush:

3 Likes

To answer some of @Burdo’s questions. I live in Florida and I have a Florida CCL. I intend to keep it and renew it for several reasons.

1. It allows me great reciprocity with quite a few states and allows me to legally carry in around 40 states.

2. It may allow me to carry in more places in FL than without. See the posts above about church, for example.

3. If I’m ever in an incident where my firearm and police are involved, it’s intsant verification that I’m carrying legally and am entitled to do so.

7 Likes

4.When buying a gun, with CWL there is no wait, without it, there is 1 week wait.

4 Likes

Good point, I intend to keep my Florida CWP for all 4 reasons you guys listed.

The wait period is currently 3 days in Florida.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine (state.fl.us)

3 Likes