Pepper Spray Effective Against Mask & Glasses?

Wasn’t sure about what category to put this in, but I was just thinking how effective pepper sprays are if your attacker is wearing a COVID mask and let’s say sunglasses or prescription glasses?

6 Likes

OC spray works on skin as well. Of course eyes, nose and mouth are the best parts to spray, but it’s also painful when you spray forehead or neck. Doesn’t give the same result, but works great as distraction and gives extra time for proper action.

Best what to do is spray whole head area, from the top to the neck.

7 Likes

The pepper spray will still be effective no doubt in my mind.

6 Likes

The masks the people are wearing for Covid would be absolutely ineffective against pepper spray.

8 Likes

At this point in time, less lethal is not an option. I think that will only upset the bear even more. Unless you’re using military grade spray. When I’m in fear of imminent death or great bodily harm, I have other options according to the law, if the law still exists. Think you’re more likely to take the brunt of your own spray if in close enough to use it.

4 Likes

The full plastic face shields might, I repeat might, be marginally effective. The rest of the stuff people are using to make them feel better, nope.

5 Likes

Really good question. I would imagine the fumes getting into the nose/mouth and inhaled are also pretty bothersome, so if you soaked the mask they’d just be chugging fumes while the mask was on.

Typical suggestions to apply pepper spray is to go horizontal across the eyes/face. With glasses or a mask, does that advice change?

6 Likes

If the mask gets peppered it will likely soak through and cause as much problem as straight in the face. The mask will quickly be ripped off and there’s a new target.

10 Likes

@MikeBKY… have you tested it already? :smile:

OMG - there is no way to breath through sprayed mask… :sneezing_face: :mask: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:
Even very small amount… :nauseated_face:

7 Likes

I sprayed some Sabre Red pepper gel in my sink. Then I took a sniff. I thought I was going to die… I wanted to. It lasted for 20 to 30 minutes. But I did learn that I can work through the effects if I ever get sprayed. It may take a few seconds to regain your presence of mind, but it is possible.

10 Likes

Here’s my thoughts on OC/Pepper Spray vs mask:

Don’t do it.

The spray will soak in to the mask and extend the effects of the spray. The target will have to remove their mask. Now you’re likely to get sued for deliberately attempting to expose someone to COVID.

That’s how I see it going down honestly. Maybe it’s just my source of employment causing me to be hyper aware of legal actions.

4 Likes

Yep! A few years back my Wife’s pepper spray got got sprayed (just one little spurt) on a tile floor in a large room. The windows had to be raised and we cleared the room. Stuff is no joke.

4 Likes

I was sprayed as part of my OC training and I had a partner inadvertently spray inside our car one day. We were coughing all day. He got it on his seat and was a little uncomfortable the rest of the day.

4 Likes

@MikeBKY I would have waited until the OC effects wore off… and then used my taser on him. I would then say… “Oopsy, sorry”. :innocent:

3 Likes

Regular glasses will provide almost no protection against airborne particulate, the same with the vast majority of cloth or paper masks being used today.

3 Likes

Remember, some people are not affected by pepper spray at all or very little. Having multiple tools for self-defense is always a good idea.

I’ve never been sprayed with pepper spray, but I also don’t carry it. If you’re going to carry it you may want to do some research on how it affects people and how to cope with it if you get it on you - either from blow back or someone else using it to incapacitate you.

I know people who have been tased and pepper sprayed - as part of their training - and most say they’d rather be tased. I haven’t volunteered or been volunteered yet thankfully!

5 Likes

I have has the displeasure of both. Being tased is awful but it is in 5 second bursts. Usually one is enough to help you decide to stop.

Pepper keeps on giving. After being peppered, we has hoses available to wash off. Most of the water went to the face, where the burning was. After about 30 minutes or so of copious amounts of water, I could successfully squint. I got home and showered, being careful trying not to let the water run down my body. As much as I tried, I was not successful. I have heard fitness coaches talk about “feel the burn!” They have no clue what “the burn” is like. As the slightly contaminated water runs down from your hair and head it causes slight burning to the upper torso. Then, it hits the “DANGER ZONE!” If the water wasn’t already set to arctic temperatures, it is now! As you attempt to freeze your nether regions to cool the burn you start wondering if milk really does help sooth the burn and, if it does, do we have any? Doesn’t matter, cause i can’t go after it because my eyes are slammed shut again and it is now literally burning from my face to my toes, not that face and toes matter when the important parts are now on fire.
Another 30 minutes in the frost and the burning has subsided to the Jalapeno level and I can finally get out of the shower. But I can’t put any clothes on because the air actually is helping. So it’s time to sleep in the buff tonight and see what tomorrow brings.

Tomorrow comes and it’s time to jump in the shower again. It’s OK, I got everything off and I can use some hot water today. As i step into the shower, I hear the sizzling again as the water rinses my hair and somehow, everything starts burning again.

6 Likes

Always keep “Sudecon” on you… or in the car.

This one was recommended here on another thread and I bought it and used already.
Instead of 30 minutes of copious amounts of water it’s only 2 - 3 wipes and 10 minutes of Jalapeno level :wink:

3 Likes