Pay no attention to that Chinese rocket that disintegrated over Texas

In the news…

9 Likes

I guess it’s better than when our space shuttle disintegrated over Texas.

2 Likes

A spokesperson for U.S. Space Command said the rocket 'reentered the Earth’s atmosphere over the southern region of North America at approximately 8:30 pm MT on March 7, 2023.

‘There was no physical impact to North America. Rocket bodies, satellites, and meteors reenter over the Earth on a regular basis, and most burn up in the atmosphere.’

3 Likes

We just haven’t felt it yet! Be patient!

3 Likes

If China launched something that fell appart over US land days later, I could take it a message of intimidation.
But this rocket took months to reenter, it just seemed out of control, random thing, and a sign of Chinese incompetence.

Send them a cleanup bill, they can pay us after they are finished paying reparations for Covid.

6 Likes

This seems to be general Chinese practice. They are launching larger and larger rockets with no care for where they come down. So far I think they’ve only managed to damage a couple buildings but eventually someone’s gonna get hurt.

3 Likes

And there is a history of this, with years ago complaints that China launches rockets without the ability to know or plan or predict when and where it will come down.

So yeah…pay no attention to the rocket that disintegrated over the southern part of the northern hemisphere on re-entry. Seems like a nothing burger to me

3 Likes

天空实验室

Their version

2 Likes

We can only hope it was as innocuous as Skylab, since we only have what the regime is telling us to go on.

1 Like

Chinese water spy ballon :grinning:

1 Like

This is kind of an interesting topic. There’s a lot of discussion going on about airspace. We have well defined standards about coastal rights and maritime law, but after hundreds of years we still don’t always agree on those. We’ve only been arguing about space since 1957, and we’re still not sure what altitudes are open seas and at what altitudes we can protect our airspace. (This is why the high altitude balloons are still controversial.)

2 Likes

Sabre rattlers who want to go to war with our largest trading patner. Boy howdy! That will work out well given that after 20 years of war and wasting more than $1 trillion, NATO could not drive the two-bit Taliban, which draws its world view and tech from the 7th century, from power. But, the war mavens think they can do better against a modern Chinese army.

1 Like

Our military will do just fine. As long as they are not fighting with artificial constraints.

2 Likes

This time will be different, right.

1 Like

So you think the war in Afghanistan was not artificially constrained?

1 Like

The US military has been subject to political constraints in every single conflict it has engaged in. Why would you believe that in a conflict with the US’s largest trading partner that manufactures most of the consumer goods purchased by the US would not be subject to such constraints?

This time would be different, right?

2 Likes