PA Self-Defense Laws

Hi - pre Covid “Lockdown” in Pennsylvania, I left one of my handguns at my parents’ house (we both live in PA) and haven’t been able to go back and get it yet. If my dad needed to use it in self-defense at the house, would that be ok? Is he able to take it to the range to practice even if it’s registered to me? Thanks!

1 Like

It looks like he should be OK to have it, @Matt26:

For complete PA laws, check out our reciprocity map:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/pa-gun-laws/

That link also has information about transporting a firearm that you may find useful.

Please let me know if you need any other help, @Matt26! Welcome to the Community!

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you @Dawn!

2 Likes

Hey Matt how are you doing,
welcome to the USCCA community

1 Like

Doing well, making the most of the quarantine. Been a USCCA member for a few years, but just found this community! Appreciate the warm welcome

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @Matt26! Provided your parents are not prohibited from possessing a firearm (felons, fugitives, determined to be mentally defective, etc.) they can possess a firearm. As, @Dawn said, your transfer of a firearm to them is legal in Pennsylvania and this includes a temporary transfer. As far as transporting a firearm to the range, yes, he can carry a weapon to and from the range. See 18 P.C.S. 6106(b)(4) which provides an exception to carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle or concealed on their person (Link below). PA is also an Open Carry state.

Please keep in mind that I am not able to provide any legal advice on Pennsylvania law.

2 Likes

I didn’t think you had to register pistols in PA. I have a PA permit… You may have bought it.

Now in NY, they are actually listed on my permit and registered to me.

1 Like

You also should look at the attached blog with some information specifically related to the Governor’s emergency orders.