"Other firearm" classification in PA

hi

I live in PA and I was wondering this popular NJ, CT, NY firearm model is legal in PA:

what I’ve found is that is this particular model (or similar ones from other manufacturers) do not fall into the pistol or rifle classification since:

1. it does not have a stock and is not designed to be fired from the shoulder. it does come with a pistol brace
  2. it has a 12.5″ barrel and has a mandatory forward vertical grip, designed to be fired with two hands.
  3. it is not an AOW – the overall length is greater than 26

and, what if I removed the forward vertical grip? would that make it a AR-pistol and avoid any confusions ?

thank you

I think the forward grip is what makes it a rule beater in some jurisdictions.

Welcome to the community!
We are happy to have you join us!!

2 Likes

Living in CT, land of the “other”, I agree with Barry’s assessment. The brace/ greater than 26" length also puts this gun into no man’s land re: potential future pistol brace issues.
Initially when these came out, the AFT said they couldn’t be shouldered (and each “other” would be assigned an agent to ensure compliance :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). Shortly after facing reality, they backed off and allowed the brace to contact the shooters shoulder: awfully nice of them :wink:
As far as legality in PA, I am not sure, but have been made aware that a lower receiver originally classified as " other" can be made into a pistol or rifle. The reverse is not true, at least here in CT.

2 Likes

Yeah, but they are going to try to make them illegal soon. Unless you are willing to register them as an SBR. Damn them. Millions of them bought legally.

Based on the bump stock defeat, I think the lawsuits over the brace law will eventually be successful. They are most certainly in common use and previously totally legal. They can’t just create new laws.

But of course that never stops them from doing it anyway.

2 Likes

I think mass non compliance would be the norm. Non enforcement as well. Why, it’s an American tradition!

How many pistol braces have been sold?
A Congressional Research Service report estimated that there are between 10,000,000 and 40,000,000 pistol braces and pistol-braced firearms in common use.Nov 30, 2022

3 Likes

We are expecting an ATF change on pistol braces any day now…personally I wouldn’t even consider buying or otherwise acquiring one right now unless you are okay with either turning it in, registering it with the ATF (if even allowed by state law depending on how things though), or being a felon, any day now

Others are still in a foggy zone, from what I understand, due to length…

2 Likes

Wow, I had no idea it was nearly that many. I also agree with your other sentiments sir. Well said! I don’t own one but we all have skin in this game.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Carlos79. I do hope we are able to share and assist you on your concealed carry journey.

3 Likes

Welcome Carlos

1 Like

thank you all for your replies!

2 Likes

Here are my other firearms

1 Like

I used to have a flintlock (Bess long land pattern replica) and loved it. I didn’t need to modify it to make it a “scary” gun, though. It had a bayonet, which by some political definitions already made it an assault weapon.

2 Likes

Sounds like it would become an SBR.

Im a Philly resident and lived in south jersey most of my life and from what i remember AOWs arent legal in NJ so no one has them there.

1 Like