Opinions on pocket carry?

Absolutely, super important safety rule!

10 Likes

I think I would need suspenders to pocket carry my G 26. I donā€™t have trouble with the G 43.

7 Likes

I like the flexibility of pocket carry.
In cold weather, where a long parka would inhibit the draw I can discreetly transfer over to coat pocket however shorter jackets generally donā€™t inhibit access to a trouser pocket.

5 Likes

A lot of choices here from a Great EDC group Of experience. In my opinion donā€™t just settle on one thing till you try them all. Iā€™m a little over weight and still carry owb with full size Ruger. I have trading in martial arts for some time and be cane use to not wearing baggy clothing nothing that can be grabbed and used as an advantage against you in an altercation. Most contact will be close and fast , so try multiple options and use your everyday routine as a guide, where you go how you have to maneuver or what you may have to carry. Run through quick draw from all see what fits and feels best. What it comes down to is muscle memory, it has to be as normal as pulling up your pants. God forbid something happen but if it was need to use your adrenaline will be so jacked up you want be able to think so find best fit and buy 2 and ware the first one out practicingā€¦ and welcome aboard a Great group here

5 Likes

To me, G26 is too heavy for the pocket. I chose G43 over G42, feeling caliber difference was worth the extra ounces.

6 Likes

How does pocket carry work when sitting? Isnā€™t that uncomfortable when sitting?

4 Likes

I use an ankle holster with my 380

3 Likes

With the right firearm itā€™s very comfortable to pocket carry.

7 Likes

It was surprising to me that it basically feels like a wallet in the rear pocket. The slide sits at about 3:30 to 4:00 with the grip horizontal pointing towards 6:00. The part I actually sit on is the leather part that fills in the gap between the slide and the grip. To draw, I index my thumb on the hammer, trigger finger is outside the pocket, and the other 3 fingers reach inside the pocket around the grip. I slide my thumb over to the thumb safety once it is clear of the pocket.

I still have to have a cover garment over the top of the pocket as the back side of the grip is barely below the top of the pocket. Hope that makes sense.

5 Likes

And, how do you draw from a pocket while seated?

To me, it would be as bad as trying to draw from a small of the back while driving a car, with the seat belt on.

4 Likes

Depends what pocket you have it in. If itā€™s a side jacket pocket it would be easier than a pants pocket. There are disadvantages to any way you carry. You have to practice. If you are going to draw from a sitting position you are not going to do it while you are vulnerable or being watched. It can be done you just have to be tactical about it. When you get your chance you draw your firearm.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve thought about pocket carry. I already have my pockets so full I donā€™t want to change. Iā€™d have to designate one pocket for my gun. This would push my phone, flashlight and keys in the same pocket. I am also one of those knuckleheads more interested in bigger calibers than 380 :joy:.

I juts prefer my gun in the belt or in a belly band in its own little place!

5 Likes

So, 0.357 or bigger? :smiley:

5 Likes

It depends on your pocket. I havenā€™t had any problem.

4 Likes

In a car? From a trouser pocket, you donā€™t.
Iā€™ll transfer holster and all to either a jacket pocket or a center console, door pocket or cup holder hidden by something innocent looking

6 Likes

Well, we each have viewpoints. Mine simply does not agree with carry in a jacket pocket and not in a back pocket and not in a front pocket.
While back pocket might be good to some degree, front pocket (unless it is a Derringer such as a Bond Arms, or an NAA .22 Magnum mini revolver) to me are just not an option.

Carried for decades, and I never have liked jacket pocket carry, for much of anything including car keys. If you have to take the jacket off, there is an issue. But, if you carry with a shoulder holster, removing a jacket can be an issue, though the firearm is still on your person and in your full control.

Everyone has their preferences, but I will just never see pocket carry as a viable EDC option, and only rarely if ever for certain situations.

4 Likes

While transferring to a jacket pocket or some other location is an option, that to me opens up other problems.
If you carry in a pocket and start to have to transfer your firearm from one carry position to another location, to me it is like removing a firearm from the holster and then holstering it again, ā€˜fingering it, messing with itā€™ which may lead to others seeing it, calling attention to yourself, and jacket pocket is not an option to meā€¦ or very rarely. I do not even put my car keys in a jacket pocket. Not a fan of off body.

If you carry in a pocket, have you considered instead of transferring your firearm from one location to another perhaps multiple times a day, and carry a backup firearm in an ankle holster or some other manner that you can access while driving so that you do not need to transfer a firearm multiple times?

3 Likes

A lot depends on the climate and your dress, whether you spend most of your time indoors or outdoors. Pocket carry gives you the flexibility to locate your pistol as you see best without fiddling with itā€”it remains safely inside the holster a all times.

3 Likes

I consider the firearm and holster as a single unit. If I have to relocate, it is small enough (or my hands large enough) that I can ā€œpalmā€ the holster without revealing the contents.

I did consider an ankle holster however I often wear boots, so an ankle holster would be most awkward to access under so much trouser cuff.

Pocket carry just plain works for me, but I think everything is a trade off in some way or another.

7 Likes

My firearm in an OWB or IWB holster, an ankle holster or should holster, remains firmly in the holster at all times and does not need to be relocated or transferred when driving or sitting or standing.

Attire is important, and if it is hot weather, a T-shirt with perhaps a covering shirt is sufficient, or if it is cooler weather a covering jacket might be good, especially for a shoulder holster.

My comment was about transferring the firearm multiple times, not that it was removed from the holster, but that it is being moved from one carry location to a different one in your vehicle.

I used the holstering example as just that, an example.

I am not sure you never ā€˜fiddleā€™ with your pocket carryā€¦ I ā€˜fiddleā€™ with my car keys at times just to shift the location.

And, for BDUs I still would not pocket carry as a regular carry option, and they are of a loose fit usually, and with jeans or dockers, they to me do not provide enough room. Most dress pants are not suited to pocket carry in my opinion and neither are jeans.

As I said, we all have preferences, I will not see the benefit in any pocket carry, nor in any off body carry.
But, I have carried OWB / IWB / Shoulder / Ankle or some combination for decades, and am comfortable with those.

2 Likes