Open Carry/State Reciprocity Question

I live in Florida, have a Florida Driver’s License, have a Florida CCW permit, and my vehicle has a Florida tag. I will be driving to Georgia as well as South Carolina over the weekend.

Open carry is legal in Georgia if you have a CCW license. The license allows you to carry in any way, open or concealed.”

Open carry of a handgun is illegal in South Carolina . Concealed carry is legal with a South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permits (CWP) or a license/ permit from a state that South Carolina honors.”

Just want to be sure I understand the reciprocity laws … does this mean I can Open Carry while in Georgia? It looks clear that I can Concealed Carry in South Carolina?

Thanks for the help.

edit: For completeness: Open carry is not legal in Florida , except for a few limited exceptions such as when engaged in fishing, camping, lawful hunting or target practice at an indoor range.

1 Like

OC is also legal in FL when traveling to or from those specific events/activities so keep that in mind as well.

As I read and understand the law, if OC is legal for state residents with a permit the reciprocity extends to out of staters carrying unless the statute specifically forbids it.

If you’re unsure, either cover it up or contact an atty in that state.

1 Like

Have you checked the reciprocity link?
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/
Since you live in FL and carry concealed, why not do the same while in your trip.

2 Likes

Good point!

I am thinking about the situation that if it gets hot and I’d like to take off my cover garment I could just leave a 1911 OWB on my belt and carry on instead of locking it up and changing to a subcompact pocket carry.

From that link: “Open carry is legal in Georgia only with a Georgia Weapons Carry License (WCL) or a concealed carry permit from a state Georgia honors.” so looks like OC will be fine.

2 Likes

In general it goes like this…

IF the state you’re in honors your permit from your home state…
… you can carry according to the state laws of the the state you’re IN.

So if GA honors your FL permit, you can carry in GA according to GA’s rules.

3 Likes