Old age and your fightin' tools

As we grow older, does a handgun ever get to be too much to shoot?
Barring something like arthritis and wear and tear, does aging have a deleterious effect on your shooting—enough to require downsizing your caliber?

5 Likes

Not yet as far of downsizing but I have started to carry a hard maple stick to help me around and shake at those whippersnappers. :wink:

11 Likes

Haven’t had to down size but arthritis and significant pain made it difficult to find the 9mm s/auto that would be right for me, based on multiple criteria. But time, persistence, and trial & error paid off, as usual.

4 Likes

not yet… :innocent:
I’ve started with 9mm… no way I will ever downsize it… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
So far steel handgun works the best for me… so still have few steps down … aluminium -> polymer -> NERF :wink:
Hmmm…I already own aluminium and polymer handguns… did I reach my bottom line? :scream:

6 Likes

Interesting.
I find steel frames easier on my mitts.
The weight seems to help mitigate the recoil/muzzle flip.

6 Likes

Thankfully I can still maintain my 3” 45. Some days are better than others. I will never give up my 45 until it breaks my wrists. Then I’ll down size to the 4” 45 and when that fails I’ll think about a 9mm.
Either way they are going to have to be pried from my hands. The sad fact is we have to talk about this. I was hoping to be strong enough to fight in the revolution.
I’m already planning who gets what.

5 Likes

I’ve been carrying the same Stainless Officers Model in 45 since the day I turned 21. In recent years it has gotten a bit heavy and I’ve considered going to a small package but have yet to find a platform that I am totally comfortable with. I’ve got fair sized hands and most of the smaller framed pistols are just too small for me to shoot comfortably. While I’ve been searching for a smaller package the last two handguns I have acquired are a full size 1911 and an LAR Grizly in 45 Win Mag which is an even BIGGER 1911. :blush:

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

To Scott52 Have you tried a Springfield Range Officer Compact. I’m 73 and have arthritis and I own a 1911 and it was getting to much.

3 Likes

Hell, When I was 20 in Nam I carried two 45’s. One issued, and one from a pile after and operation. Oh yeah, and my M60.

7 Likes

That is what is happening to my cousin right now, he does his own reloads.
So his solution was not making his rounds as hot as factory rounds and then he can still shoot his favorite 1911’s

5 Likes

I converted my Glock 27 to 9 mm. .40 caliber was too rough on my old hands, not to mention, ammo is cheaper.

3 Likes

I carry a P365XL and I have found it efficient for concealment and over all use. I am 57 and I find no reason to go down any size. A nine millimetre hand gun is efficient but if it seems to deem to be a problem then just get a bigger 9mm. The larger size will be easier to grip and control.

4 Likes

Have been looking into it.
Welcome to our community.

2 Likes

Scott, the Springfield Range Officer also has a stainless Bull barrel that has a tongue on it so it doesn’t mess up the composite body when it loads the 45 round in the barrel.

2 Likes

In Cambodia and Laos (we were not there in 64) LOL,operated in N Vietnam and carried a tomahawk on Left side hip and a folder knife on left breast with 12" overall when open and a 1911 on left breast and a M-14 on right shoulder and was also 20 yo and the only problem now on my rifles have to have glass for distance

4 Likes

I carry a Taurus 45 and a Taurus GK2 9mm in a ankle holster, in case i ever have to kiss the ground and both are round in the pipe,the 45 is shoulder holster concealed,as I got older decided on a back up

1 Like

Layton, We were in the rear and were told to leave our dogtags and ID’s back. Hell who carried and ID in the bush anyway. Anyway we were taken in trucks almost to the Lang Ve special forces base and told to get out. We went to the left and right into triple canopy jungle and up and over three mountains. I guess we were in Laos. Had some of the cleanest water I had ever drank in nam. I know we called in air strikes in the valley below (Ho Chi Min trail. Elephants carry arty pieces on there backs. I was a grunt, machine gunner. I was there in 67!

3 Likes

@John292

As a sixty year old woman I still enjoy shooting my Springfield 1911A1 .45ACP, but for carry I’ve moved to 9mm and have relegated my 1911A1 to “bedroom gun” status. I just gave two S&W PC 9mm Shield pistols to my daughter for a primary and backup firearm. I found these to be very comfortable to both carry and shoot. The porting was very helpful in controlling muzzle flip. I’d equipped both with a TLR light.

I believe that, with modern loadings such as the HST and Critical Defense the 9mm is an acceptable caliber for personal defense, particularly given that shot placement and follow up shots appear to be more relevant than any single hit. I just watched a Wilson Combat presentation where Ken Hackathorn addressed your concern and stated that he also has moved to the 9mm for carry, using the 9mm Wilson Combat Hackathorn Special.

I’m in search of my next “primary” CCW pistol and am looking at possibly another Shield, but also considering a Glock 19 or STI Staccato C/C2. For me, the ability to comfortably train to maintain proficiency outweighs the perceived (or perhaps real, but minor) gain to be had by a different caliber selection.

In making this decision I also considered that the 9mm, as the duty caliber of choice by the majority of modern LEO’s, has the most research being performed on bullets and loads and subsequently is likely to perform better than a less frequently used caliber such as even the venerable .45ACP or 10mm.

I am also considering the use of an optic to help with eyesight that is far less than what it was in my youth!

I hope this comment is helpful with your question and wish you and your family the best in these uncertain times.

Kate

5 Likes

I went over there on the USS Gorgon,a wWW11 troop ship that was took out of mothballs and made sea ready. Only spent 2 days in Oui Nhon S vietnam when a chopper landed and a runn got me and told me to go to the chopper and when I got there a General was there and told me to get on the chopper,it was all black with no markings on it and I said I need to get my gear,and he said I didn’t need it,and you don’t tell a General no so I got in and when we landed in a camp in Laos and got off it they took all ID and my fatigues and gave me Ti gar Stripes cameo,first time I ever knew any thing about cameo,I was informed that I was selected for a special grout and that we did not exist,and I asked why me and they said because of my range shooting so we were 2 man teams and never knew where the other teams were at any time or what their mission was at any time,There were no TDY papers at all,and the ones that didn’t come back was listed as MIA no bodies were reclaimed and sent back.The group taught me OJT on how to survive

1 Like

I guess you were Army? Never heard of anything like that.

1 Like