Oem vs aftermarket. Pistol mags

Do you use oem or after mags in your carry gun?
Is there a difference in the two ? Would you trust your life to a aftermarket magazine or are they just for training.
Me personally I only buy and use oem mags but Glock mags are not expensive so that helps

3 Likes

For carry, I only use an OEM magazine. IMO, OEM is the better choice but if you can’t them find or they’re just waaay too expensive well…gotta do whatcha ya gotta do. I keep my aftermarket magazines on deck for training and backup only. Keep in mind, though, a gun fight or self defense situation rarely lasts more than one magazine. I guess you could accidentally release it or it jams and you would need to swap it out quickly to stay in the fight but if that happens, things are not going well for you.

6 Likes

I would submit that it depends on your platform. An M&P, SIG, SA etc you would be well served with OEM mags and in general and they are probably cheaper than after market. In the 1911, Beretta, etc. platform or the AR platform the aftermarket mags are heads and shoulders above OEM and yes that includes Colt. (I actually have Colt AR mags). The sort version of the answer is I don’t run anything I don’t test. If it passes I have no issues using it. For those that fail to pass they usually become targets.

Cheers,

Craig6

8 Likes

Which ever-- they get tested to the max.

4 Likes

I only use OEM mags in my carry, but I did add an aftermarket +1. I tested it extensively with both FMJ and JHP rounds. I also shoot multiple full mags a month (double taps, rapid fire, etc.), but lately, only using FMJ rounds.

2 Likes

As @Craig6 posted - depend on the platform.
I’m doing deep Internet research before making the purchase of aftermarket mags.
When I see more than 10% negative reviews I go for OEM.

Fe. CZ mags made by ProMag are not good at all.

3 Likes

Most OEM magazines aren’t produced by gun manufacturers but rather other suppliers.
Mecgar supplies many for high end gun manufacturers. For as long as I can remember, Colt’s magazines have been supplied by either CheckMate or Metalform and are every bit as reliable as the identical ones marked with the pony.
I’ve no problem with any of these and trust them after function testing(as with all my HD/SD gear)
Now cheap magazines ( imitations from Asia, come to mind) are notorious and I avoid them. I once had a Triple K that looked like it was made in beginning metal shop class.
Those end up between a Diamond 2.2# rounding hammer and a 70# Cliff Carroll Farrier’s anvil

1 Like

That is the reason to buy OEM, not aftermarket.
MecGar is OEM partner for over 10 firearm’s manufacturers. Great quality mags.

2 Likes

Just remember that Mecgars like olive oil :wink:.

2 Likes

:grimacing: :slight_smile: any particular brand?

1 Like

So where is the best place to get after market mags?

1 Like

At Jerzy Mag Warehouse. :crazy_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’ve been using these websites:

https://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php
https://advancedtactical.com/magazines.html

However OEM is what I’ve been buying. Never found aftermarket magazine with good review (And I’m not a person who checks if reviews tell the true)

1 Like

Thank you.

2 Likes

Everything SOLD OUT at my warehouse :joy:
A_20201015_07

3 Likes

Don’t believe in aftermarket anything! It’s all about trust. As far as life saving equipment of any kind, I will always go OEM.

2 Likes

Good choice.

1 Like

OEM for me. Currently waiting for GunMagWarehouse to notify me when M&P 22 Compact mags are back in stock. A few $$ more than an off-brand they have in-stock, but I can wait for the OEM mags to be back in-stock.

1 Like

@Greg33,
check this out:
https://www.natchezss.com/smith-wesson-m-p-22-compact-magazine-22lr-10-rd.html

I’ve just received 4 of them last week.

@Joseph168… I have no idea, why I’ve forgotten about “Natchez” website. They have also great selection of OEM magazines.

1 Like

I only buy oem Glock, for my ARs it’s Magpul, GI, and Hex Mag Gen2

1 Like