Normal wear?

Hey Craig, thanks for the input! Why do you like to avoid MIM parts? (I’m sure all of my M&P shave them).

1 Like

My latest purchase - M&P9 M2:

1 Like

@Scoutbob MIM is kind of like clay to me but injected. I know its been around for a decade or so and science is better than it ever has been… So bear with me, we have been doing clay for 10,000 years and any serious clay mfg puts their stuff in bird cages when it goes into the kiln to deal with trapped air pockets and the explosions that occur with it to minimize the collateral damage. In MIM the air pockets don’t explode they contract which leaves you pockets as noted in the above pictures, I would submit that they are the injection points but I can’t prove that. When Taurus (AKA S&W) started doing MIM on their 1911’s I got tapped to evaluate some parts. Let’s just say I broke stuff and wasn’t invited back to the evaluation. For stuff that just goes up and down or side to side its fine but for anything with a bearing surface or something that needs to be hard like a trigger/ hammer interface you can’t get the hardness for durability of cold steel.

There is as much magic to steel as there is science but forged steel will always win.

Yes I am old school but I was also one of the first ones to throw the flag when the M-9 started shearing off the lock blocks wayyyy back in the 1990’s. They fixed that issue by using forged steel and created a new one inside that would still get you dead in a gun fight but at least your own gun wouldn’t kill you.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes