No Duty to Protect

It would be nice if they would park the crusers and walk the commercial centers and get to know the citizens like they used too

5 Likes

Police are government employees in the business of law enforcement. That is, finding evidence that a crime has been committed and working to present that evidence to prosecutors. They are not in the business of finding evidence of innocence. That’s why any lawyer worth his salt will tell you to remain silent if you are involved in a shooting.

Police are not peace keepers, either, although a fair proportion of their time is spent settling family disputes. I used to be a police officer many moons ago and quit when I realized that I spent most of my time as an untrained 25-year old marriage counselor and glorified insurance investigator with a uniform and a gun gathering evidence at car wrecks. There are much easier ways to make a living.

4 Likes

I was a cop in the mid-70’s-- I didn’t have body armor, tazer, computer. If I left the cruiser I had no radio. I had a shot gun as back up-- no m16/AR15. I carried a 6 shot revolver and 6 extra rounds. I had none of the modern tools and yet-- I did more than all these modern officers will ever do. OK, the end of another rant.

4 Likes

You mean, in the times before phone cameras which citizens shove in cops’ faces as other citizens provoke them?

3 Likes

SOOOooooo, you take a very few instances and make it the norm… this may be a surprise to you and most officers… MOST citizens support HONEST, HARD WORKING LEOs. However, camera phones have exposed crooked cops and those Blue-Line-Gangs who defend them.

5 Likes

You are correct. However, these days you meet these types, Che Guevara tshirt, purple hair, they are literally everywhere, maybe with the exception of rural areas. They harass and provoke cops and they get away with it. Would you step in and stop it if you saw something like this? I am not brave enough, besides, cops have the gas, the cuffs, the batons and the authority.

3 Likes

Ditto. In the 70s, when I was a cop, you had to buy your own body armor. There was a brand called “Second Chance” that was basically soft kevlar. The founder of the company came to town, put on his body armor and literally shot himself in the stomach to prove it worked. Pretty scary. We called his vests “Last Chance” as the blunt force trauma was pretty bad and the vests failed if they got wet (think summertime sweat). Later models encased the kevlar in plastic which made them even more uncomfortable.

5 Likes

I would like to think every time I had an investigation result in a conviction, I was “protecting” the community from a future crime. At least they served some time back then rather than going through the revolving door like they do now. But I digress, that is another discussion, on another thread.

1 Like

WOW!!! WOW!!! past moderator(s) would have banned many of us for 1000 years (literally) for being critical of law enforcement…

1 Like

I’ve literally watched more than 1000 cop videos and I bet not 2 were good cops, a few supervisors educated their officers, though most continued he unlawful activity against victims… I watched a video today where the SGT told the videographer that he was going to follow him around until he broke the law…wow!

1 Like

We are descending, and until we hit bottom it’s only going to get worse. The good news is those that survive to the bottom, there’s only one way to go, up! I’m afraid at my age I’ll only get to see the bottom!

4 Likes

IIRC the original set up for the police and sheriffs n such was to AID in the apprehension of criminals that the citizens had to deal with… and to create a presence of law by doing town watch/patrols…

over time this became something more then was intended… when it was originally set up…

least wise that is my understanding of the original intent… now they seem to be much more then intended???

1 Like

and the financial backing!!!

2 Likes

”Good morning, pigs.
You fascists. Honkies
You Killers. Bigots
You fags. You pinkos.
You creeps. You bastards
Fuzz.”

-Electra Glide in Blue (1973 movie starring Robert Blake)