Next new gun

hello all im having trouble deciding what to purchase next. I have been looking at the glock 45 or 19x and the hellcat. It will be a winter carry gun and a range gun but im have trouble deciding between the golcknor springfeild

3 Likes

@Brent25 Most of the replies you will receive will be community members telling you to try them all out. What’s good for me, doesn’t mean it’s good for others. Find a range that has firearms that interest you and rent first. You may find that none of those three become your choice. It’s happened to me, went to buy a specific firearm and came away with something I hadn’t even considered. Good luck.

6 Likes

I’m not a Glock dude, but I believe the 19x and G45 are basically the same. If I’m correct, the 19x got most of the gen5 upgrades and has a lanyard loop, FDE color, and standard ns. The gen5 G45 is a true gen5 with no lanyard loop, black, and standard Glock sights. So now it’s what Glock vs. Springfield… IMO all three are great firearms. If it were me, I would go for the Glock 45 because it has a fs frame and is plain black, but like the Eskimo said, it’s best to try before you buy. Let us know what you decide :slightly_smiling_face: @TexasEskimo knows more about Glocks than I do, so please correct me if I’m wrong.

4 Likes

Since it’s going to be a winter carry gun you can go with a larger gun and gain more capacity. I say a full size Glock or Springfield would fit the bill.

4 Likes

I’ll add… The Glock 45 is built off the Glock 17 frame but with a shorter nose. All generations of G17 magazines will fit. The 19X is also built off the Glock 17 frame with a short nose, but due to the small lip on the bottom of the frame, you can not use Gen 5 magazines.

5 Likes

I agree with @Johnnyq60. If it’s for winter, and you don’t live far south where winter only happens in dreams, a fs firearm would be workable since y’all probably wear more clothes/layers. Gives more capacity, and more real estate for grip with cold/wet hands.

5 Likes

If those are the choices, I would go with the Glock. The Hellcat is probably a great carry gun. I say probably simply because I have not shot one yet. But its claim to fame is a high capacity subcompact. As such, it wont be the best range gun other than for shorter sessions. One of the Glock choices would be much better for extended range sessions. YMMV. If you were to open the discussion up to other SA models more comparable in size, then the decision gets much less clear. The 19X and the 45, its a toss up. I have a 19X that I occasionally carry (usually a 1911 guy, but riots) and its a great gun. But @TexasEskimo is right, it wont work with Gen 5 mags. I have tried. But then I have firearms and mags from a spectrum of Glock Gens. So, I would probably go for the 45 just for compatibility. One nice thing about Glocks is if you ever decide to buy a PCC, most are either designed to use or have an adapter to use Glock mags, so then you have a pistol and rifle that use the same mags.

6 Likes

I love my S&W sd40ve. It is a great gun, and the price was right, got it for an even $300. But that’s just me

1 Like

When I was debating my last purchase, it was between a G45 and M&P M2.0. I went with the one that I could find… otherwise, it would have been a lot harder to decide

3 Likes

I’m a heavy guy so even though I would prefer a Glock 19 but can only wear it comfortably OWB, a couple of years ago I purchased a ruger LC9s after comparing it to 6 guns I rented at the range. Bought 2 ,9 round extended magazines. I thought the Glock 43 was better but I couldn’t get past the 300.00 price difference. Fast forward 3 years, I was weighing buying the Hellcat vs the 43x, but now that the Glock 43x has available the aftermarket 15 round metal mags , I will be upgrading to the 43x. Keep the gun slim so it fits IWB and have 15 rounds, IMO best of both worlds.

2 Likes