Newly Licensed but Still Not Carrying

I do agree and I know that a paper target is only a small part of our training and has to be practiced. Muscle Memory is necessary. Like breathing !

We all need an Outdoor Range, but our cost has been high and ammunition is stock piled in some else’s safe or closet with 24 security systems attached. I spent 2.5 years in a outdoor range and I learn much, but USCCA has instructors, instructions, books, videos, and everyone is very hard working, much more. I have had only a small part of that of USSCA, BUT CHECK OUT THE PROVING GROUNDS VIDEOS. Please educate yourself on some more of the staff’s training
videos on what can happen in real life and it does.

Thank you very much. With the last I say it all builds confidence and you grow more. Stay safe, please.

2 Likes

You can carry with confidence, by taking E Learning Classes in your on home in areas to build your strength and confidence. The many books are for sale that you can study and later take classes or a course. Please note, not everyone carries a firearm, they train and practice, but not carry.

1 Like

I bet that has been scary for you. Stay safe. They’ve been publishing videos here on the USCCA network about what to do when these types of things have been happening. They’ve been under the Ask An Attorney videos.

1 Like

I have been taking a lot of classes. Just ready to do more live fire practice when ammo is more readily available.

2 Likes

You train and learn, it builds confidence, peace of mind, and you will enjoy helping others. Thank you for your
Information.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Hello Jennifer, I am guessing you’ve already read through a few other responses but I’ll happily offer my 2 cents as well.

Carrying a concealed weapon is a huge responsibility and one you clearly are not taking lightly so to that, well done! I have been through “stress” training in the military and as a civilian and frankly there are many different levels and degrees to any training. You can go from some class that has you do jumping jacks and then fire to simulated attack and fire from your back at the target so its really important you decide what type of training YOU want to have to be comfortable. I happen to personally train in Krav Maga (Israeli Self Defense) and the owner partners with a tactical trainer and we on occasion go out and practice fighting and shooting from our backs or various ways as more of a real world example.

If I might ask a question and offer some insight, is that the only reason? My CCW instructor always tells new permit/license holders to do the Target/Walmart walk once they get their card in hand. This is where you literally walk into a target or walmart wearing your firearm and walk up and down every aisle to become more comfortable wearing it. I thought it was a joke when he told us, especially seeing that I carried a weapon in the military…but hands down…I was sooooo nervous the first time. I was worried I was printing, I was fidgeting with my shirt (what you’re NOT supposed to do), I was probably looking like I was stealing and thought everyone knew I had a gun. However, as I walked through from one side of the store to the other…I relaxed and it quickly became no problem as I was more comfortable. By the end I was more relaxed and didnt stress about it anymore. I even didn’t have a round chambered because I was so paranoid. I would definitely suggest taking a similar action to just get comfortable if you have any fear or anxiety carrying. If you’re looking for training though, Call around to different ranges and ask if they have any classes to help hone your skills drawing from concealed. Then ask what they cover and see if that suits you. I doubt you’ll need to go the the extreme I do and frankly at my age I’d rather not get into a physical altercation and Krav is mainly my way to stay young and in shape.