New to the self-defense lifestyle?

Rick Sapp, a USCCA Blogger (among other titles), reminds those of us who have lived the self-defense lifestyle for a long time what those who are new to the lifestyle are starting to think about.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/preparing-yourself-for-something-wicked/

(For more discussion about Wasp Spray, check out this thread on the Community: Wasp spray for self-defense?)

What types of changes have you made in your lifestyle to protect yourself?

I’ve started to add focus to gun free zone protection. Figuring out how to make the best of the worse case scenario

2 Likes

Put me in the “new to the self-defense lifestyle” category. I have only been carrying for about 6 months. But, blame it on my military service, I have always been acutely aware of my surroundings. So when it comes to “run, hide, fight” I was kind of limited to the first two.

Mike

2 Likes

40 years new and still learning every day or at least trying to.

I’m much more aware of my surroundings and trained in profiling as well and that’s a big change from when I first started.

Just going to add, insecticides of any kind are a really bad Idea because they will not stop an attacker and can leave you facing federal charges as it’s a crime to use any insecticide in a manner or for a purpose not prescribed on the label.

Bear spray is legal and much more effective.

1 Like

Thank you for your service, @Michael1! And welcome to the carry lifestyle!

What branch were you in? How much firearm training did you do in the military?

1 Like

Air force, 24 years. Fell in love with the M16A1 first time I fired it. I was in the medical field so only got to fire it during my periodic re-qualifications. Also had to qualify on the Smith and Wesson Model 15.

Mike

3 Likes

I’ve heard great things about the M16A1 - I need to find one to shoot! :slight_smile:

What are you carrying these days?

1 Like

Funny story about that. For the longest time the wife didn’t want any guns in the house. One day last fall I happened to comment that I wouldn’t mind having an AR-15. Her reply was, “So why don’t you get one?” I did my research and decided I wanted an AeroPrecision AC-15M. Couldn’t find the complete rifle anywhere so I ended up buying the lower from a local gun store and ordered the upper direct from AeroPrecision.

A while later the wife and I were out one day and decided to check out the local indoor range. I had heard good things about the Sig M17. I figured if the Army had done all the research and picked it as their new handgun I’d check it out. Guess who didn’t object when I expressed interest in getting it. :wink: I bought it 2 days later and that’s my EDC. I love it. Yes, it’s a bit on the heavy side but you get used to that pretty quick. Now when I’m not wearing (I work in Mass and can’t wear it to work) I feel like something’s missing.

And before you ask, yes, the wife has shot it. She did pretty well with it, too. :slight_smile:

Mike

1 Like

@Michael1 just curious if you have any thoughts on what changed your wife ideas on having guns in the house?

The kids are grown and out of the house. They have actually been out on their own for quite some time. The conversation just hadn’t come up until recently.

Mike

1 Like

It’s a beautiful gun! I definitely want to add one to my collection! Sig just came out with an X-Compact as well. I love my Sigs.

2 Likes