New to the game!

Lots of choices for compact double stacks now.

2 Likes

Some of the best advice I’ve ever heard on this topic is to find what you can afford to the best of your liking and learn how to use the tool. Become proficient with your firearm and upgrades to firearms and gear naturally progress with time and skill level.

I think it was the latest Concealed Carry magazine that featured “budget” guns. There were some great reads in there about pistols in the lower price ranges. It seems technology has advanced to the point some of the guns in this category perform extremely well. I’m not to proud to admit I’ve been outshot in the past by a Taurus. Gear helps and it’s great but performance largely depends on us.

2 Likes

I own two Taurus weapons, a G2 and a G3C, Good, dependable and inexpensive units. Although I have not had a reason to use the customer service I understand that they have made great strides in improving the product before and after the sale. It is not a target pistol, but it can do the job it was designed for, protection.

Larry

2 Likes

Thanks Larry!

So far:
2 votes for S&W
1 vote for Taurus

all others don’t matter… :wink:

2 Likes

Except the G19X😉

Welcome brother. Budget wise the Taurus will stand up in times of need. I own a few Taurus pistols and have sent 500rds or more down range with them. My children’s enjoys shooting my PT740, and believe it or not, I know it has a little recoil but to me I never really noticed from the first shot, my children’s did but after the first shot they were hitting target like they shot a gun before but I know it was their first time.

3 Likes

:wink:
I’m not sure about that.
Have you noticed that nobody even mentioned “G” name? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

My wife has MS and though she is not even fifty yet, has trouble racking the slide on any semi auto. She had a small revolver, but it was so small and light, it was difficult for her to shoot.
We bought a Walther PK380 after the lady at the local gun shop put several firearms into my wife’s hands so she could get the feel and see what she likes. I sat by and let the Gun shop gal do her thing. I want my wife to be confident in what she chooses to shoot and carry.
The Walther has been a fine gun for her an the slide racks very easily.
Enter COVID 19 and the surge in ammunition prices. While I can find 9mm at about double last years prices, 380 auto is nearly three times last years prices.
What do you do when your pistol caliber is more expensive than your husbands?
You buy a 9mm like he has.
So we went and looked at the S&W MP Shield 9mm EZ…
The “EZ” is very easy to rack the slide, about the same as the Walther PK380, and it is physically about the same size as the Walther was.
We went to the range on Good Friday and blew $150 and she is feeling pretty comfortable with her new firearm.
I would definitely recommend the MP Shield 9mm EZ, it lives up to its name.

My daughter has the Taurus G2C and it is a very good firearm for the price. It has a lot of features for a gun that sold for about $225 pre-pandemic. We have had zero problems with it. It is not easy to rack the slide on that one.
I own a Taurus PT740 slim, and it has had zero malfunctions and I have put a great many rounds down range. This one predates the G3C.

3 Likes

Thank you Ronald 231 and everyone else. I appreciate the answers. :+1:t2:

You haven’t mentioned your experience level. If this is your 1st firearm and / or you haven’t shot in years, I would suggest (as much as I dislike them) that Glock which allows you to switch barrels & shoot .22LR. When the world went to hell last year I purchased both a 10/22 & SR22. Neither my wife or daughters had shot anything before. Using $.08 22 rounds I was able to get them enough practice & familiarity that they could make informed decisions about what they wanted in personal/ EDC weapons.
Budget aside, do you really want to skimp out on the item you are trusting your life to? Find what is comfortable & intuitive to you.

1 Like

True Nathaniel 21!

Is there a .22 barrel that can be used in a G43?

I have a PT111 G2 that I love. I’ve disabled the safety lock screw by replacing the firing pin block with a stainless steel one without the notch that allows the screw to prevent it from working.

My wife said she liked the gun because she can rack it. So she bought one or at least the G2C. Ammo went up so much we haven’t been inclined to get to the range yet. At any point she decides to go in a different direction we’ll just buy another gun. I almost bought a G42 for her. But 380 ammo is really hard to find. I am not confident with using .22LR ammo for all the known issues. Time will tell. I like my Taurus PT111G2 more than my G43. But I’ve been carrying my G43. Once I get situated I may switch over to my 1911. I like the .45 ACP stopping power. It also holds less than the 10 round Max the anti-gunnrs want to restrict. I’m okay with that. My issue is that I firmly believe/feel that all gun laws are unconstitutional until they pass a new amendment that gives government the right to limit the existing 2A. It’s a pet peace of mine. Army legalistic ideology.

Perhaps G49? :no_mouth:

1 Like

Funny thing is S&W was sued by Glock over the S&W Sigma (which is replaced with the SDVE). S&W had to pay Glock for every unit sold for awhile. The gun is basically a Glock copy :joy::joy:.

The Taurus is a good gun. I’ve shot the G2C and it’s a great value. I have not shot the SDVE, BUT I would lean towards that one for the lifetime warranty (though I’ve heard the trigger pull is heavy. But some people like that for self defense).

1 Like

Well Jerzy, I live in Massachusetts and they’re funny about Glocks. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Yessireebob - sued the pants off them - the only different feature on the Sigma was the location of the takedown tabs. Too bad - the Sigma had an extremely comfortable grip and round triggerguard. A similar royalty incident occurred between the Mauser K93 and the 1903 Springfield rifles - Springfield had to pay Mauser royalties until WWI broke out, I think. The only reason we were were stuck with the Beretta M9 when Sig won the '80s competition was Sig’s refusal to build a factory here - Beretta was tottering on the edge of bankruptcy. Look what’s happened recently - it’s truly ironic! FYI

1 Like

Just less expensive. My dad even has a Sigma, that has never been fired. When it becomes mine, I’ll remedy that issue.

1 Like

There have been a lot of posts on here. It is going to come down to a few things…

What feels right to you when you shoot? Do you have a caliber in mind? Revolver or semi automatic? What is its intended use, home defense or daily carry? You say you are retired…how is your eye sight? Do you need an optic to help you acquire the target or planning on regular sites? How is your grip? If you are thinking about a semi auto make sure you can rack the slide. Personal opinion is on a semi auto make sure it has a rear sight designed to rack against a door, etc. Do you want external safeties or is a trigger safety adequate for you?

Unless you are doing competition shooting or plan on firing thousandsof rounds at a range, most modern mass produced budget guns with decent views will serve you well. That is with proper maintenance, ammunition and training.

One last thing…you will have to clean the pistol so make sure you get one you feel comfortable with.

Try to rent a lot of different guns at a range to find the best gun you can afford that you are comfortable with. If you have friends that shoot ask to go with them.

Not sure where you live, but most areas will have beginner level classes to help with all of this. It is an investment in protecting yourself and well worth the money.

1 Like

S&W 686 357 magnum
That way you can shoot .38s or …357

2 Likes