New (to me) Press Check description

Good article on dos and don’ts on 1911 handling. Some points, like press checks are applicable to other pistol designs.

DON’T DO THESE THINGS WITH YOUR 1911!

Hope you don’t mind that I prettied this up, @Gary_H. Both the title and the picture are clickable. ~Dawn

3 Likes

Thanks @Dawn !

Never once stuck my thumb inside the trigger guard. Most everything mentioned is or should be common sense.

2 Likes

Common sense is not very common…

3 Likes

Nice article.

Funny about press check… It was 1980’s when I saw it first time…
sspresscheck
I’m surprised people are still doing this :roll_eyes:

I do not agree with “Closing The Slide” paragraph… I’ve been using slide release for year, slammed it over 10,000 times, no harm at all.

2 Likes

Larry Vickers:

4 Likes

In training classes I have had, it is advised not to use the slide lock mechanism to release the slide, as the metal part eventually does wear, resulting in the slide not locking back.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve heard it as well several times, and probably it is true for some sophisticated firearms. But less expensive, well made 1911 can handle everything.
My RIA 1911 has been tortured over and over by me, so far I do not see any worn out places .

Once I can afford one of these: DWX, EDC x9, SAS II Utralight, TRS Commander… I won’t slam the slide on empty chamber for sure :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like