New gun slatherd in oil,best cleaning?

Hello folks, my Rock Island M200 Revolver arrived heavily lubricated, is there any advice on the best way to clean it all off, maybe a solvent and a follow up lubricant? I swear they must dunk these things before packaging them up lol Thanks Bruno

5 Likes

They do ship them from the Philippines. So a good aerosol spray degreaser should do the trick. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Yeah, something like Gun Scrubber maybe?

7 Likes

Wipe it with a rag. That is if it’s oil. Also run a patch or boresnake down the bore

If it’s thick grease like cosmoline type of thing, degreaser and then wipe down with oil

4 Likes

Thanks, it’s definitely not cosmoline grease thankfully, i should have did some research and taken latex disposable gloves and wipes with me to do some of the checks i read about doing before taking ownership bc once i did that even leaving the store and checking it at my vehicle i would have to deal woth Rock Island, so i did a thorough check as best i could recall and everything was good, if not i could just request another or a refund. I believe it’s gonna Rock!
Much appreciated

3 Likes

4 inch model?

1 Like

Yes 4". I wanted another revolver with some barrel more than my Taurus 856UL. 38 - which is a dandy but yeah i did want at least 4" barrel

4 Likes

I like the look of the 4” model. Let us know how it shoots!

4 Likes

You can use non-chlorinated Brake-Kleen without damaging the gun or springs. Be certain to apply a thin coat of oil or CLP everywhere afterwards.

7 Likes

Rock Island is known from overprotecting all of their new shipped product. You’d better get rid of that grease.
The best is to remove grip panels and just wipe them off with regular cleaning solvent, then your favorite lube. Finally wipe them with clean cloth.
Remove cylinder and submerge everything (but grip panels) in 90% rubbing alcohol. Keep it there for 60 minutes, then put aside on paper towel and let it dry.
I use compressed air (low pressure) to dry all internal components.
Finally use your favorite lube (pay attention to properly lube main spring and action parts) and put everything back together.

4 Likes

What he said

3 Likes

What does Rock Island say to do?

I’d be leery of over lubing any DA revolver—drenching the innards can tie one up(don’t ask me how I know this) Unless Rock Island recommends removing the side plate, I wouldn’t mess with it providing the revolver functions properly.
I definitely would clean off the exterior, bore and chambers though, lubing sparsely to prevent corrosion.

3 Likes

TY all for your advice, it’s always appreciated!

3 Likes

Among other uses, 90% IPA is a great degreaser. Be sure to use nitrile gloves when handling 90%. It’s degreaser, remember. That also includes the natural oils in your hands. If your hands look moldy and all white after using the IPA, use some of your wife’s hand cream to restore some of the oils.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Well he got the flavor right

1 Like