Need a Tiny Gun... Thoughts on best choices?

7 Likes

To be a bit more serious. If you are looking for real small and unobtrusive the Ruger LCP in 380 is small, 6+1 . Kel Tec has a tiny 380 as well. And and old Police backup that has been mentioned the Seecamp 380 is being made again. No they aren’t normal EDC as much as last ditch backup guns. The Seecamp is now made by another company but if they have stayed true to the family design they are sturdy little guns. It is meant for close range and doesn’t even come with sights, just point and shoot. and as an American made backup they are pricey. But I digress.

On an average budget the Ruger might be my choice. Maybe a Smith Body guard. But I only mention the Ruger and the Seecamp because I have tried them. I mentioned the Kel Tec because they looked interesting not because I tried one. I used to hang with old LEOs for a long time and quite a few had Seecamps because they knew they would fire in an emergency. But they got hard to find.

Just remember the primary use of a small backup was in an emergency or last ditch situation. But some of them are small enough to wear on you ankle with tapered slacks. Pants like Boot cut Jeans and you can get a small 9mm on there and not print. I have a small .22 that looks like a wallet with a holster in my front pocket. Hitting someone more than 15 feet away if iffy at best. Just saying.

6 Likes

With the right cut of jeans I’ve been able to carry an S&W J-frame (340PD) 357Mag, or a SiG P239 9mm, 7+1 auto. either fits into their specific Galco ankle holster. And you may not need a wrapper extender to get around your ankle like I do. But if you want to wrap outside your boot top… Galco has it covered.

4 Likes

I shot a Beretta tomcat a few times. It is an underrated mouse gun in my opinion. The G42 is a good option as well.

5 Likes

Not sure if it is small enough for ankle carry, but have you looked at the Sig P365? Small, and double stack.

6 Likes

Well was just at the gun store yesterday and there is a lot of smaller guns out 2that really stuck out was the new Springfield hellcat and the Sig Sauer p365 both small with alot of rounds

5 Likes

I have a Glock 42 that I put on my ankle at times and it my pocket more. I think the 43 is a good option but .380 is easier to shoot compared to 9mm in a small package.
I also like a snub nose revolver for pocket carry. I’m not a fan of hammerless but like SW hidden hammer.

6 Likes

A good deal of people I work with gravitate towards the P365. The S&W bodyguard stays pretty lonely the last couple years now.

6 Likes

Jeff4 I think its because of more rounds

4 Likes

When I get my next carry gun (Glock 19/43X/48…I haven’t decided yet), I am going to get an ankle holster for my 43. Then again, as an older guy, I can get away with baggier slacks than some.

4 Likes

Yep, that’s what drew me to it originally, but it also has a really good feel in the hands as well.

4 Likes

NAA Guardian .32. Dead solid little pistol, reliable and accurate at reasonable ranges. Pocket carried one for years where a subcompact wouldn’t work.

5 Likes

@Zee

How quickly are you looking to make a decision?
I have both a Bersa Thunder 380 and a Walther PPS I have used as ankle carry. I can bring them along in March if you would like to take a look.

4 Likes

I have a super tiny ruger it’s only a 380 but it is cell phone sized and hides anywhere.

6 Likes

Bruce, dito on the Beretta Tomcat. A nice 32acp.
I like the flip open barrel.
This is what I used to carry in my pocket when I had a corporate job and could get fired if I was printing.

Bruce, the next time your at the range, pointing it in a safe direction, with the safety on, pull the trigger. Put a few extra pounds behind the pull and let me know if it fires.

Mine does! Yes, with the safety on mine does fire.
Beretta offered to service it for free but I’ve never gotten around to sending it in.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum Justin!

4 Likes

The Sig P365 is a decent choice in my opinion. I really like mine. 10+1 in the standard mags it comes with.

9 Likes

Y’all are giving me a lot of good opinions to see at my FFL when I’m there next week!

I’d love to see that. I have a bersa thunder combat and I think it’s too big for ankle carry on me.

Welcome to the group @Justin27! What model is it?

This is definitely on my list to look at, welcome!

On my list to try

And that’s one I’ve never heard of!

I dont know if the FFL has those, but I’m going to ask

Lots to think about here! Yay!

3 Likes

NAA mini revolver in .22 wmr and install the folding grip.

Taurus G2C.

4 Likes

Back when I started (circa mid '80’s) this was a prime choice for the easy to conceal, easy to miss in a pat down when placed well, and lethal enough at short range for good shot placement. But with all the micro 9’s out there today and other options even smaller… YMMV

3 Likes