"National Stand Your Ground Law"

this is very interesting… don’t think it will pass… but think it would be a good thing for many…

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) said on Thursday that he would introduce a “National Stand Your Ground Law” as a reaction to Kyle Rittenhouse’s prosecution.

Gaetz made the announcement on his Firebrand podcast.

“I do not believe in imposing on Americans a duty to retreat when someone else attempts to commit a felony against a victim,” the lawmaker opined.

Gaetz said that gun owners on a “stroll” should have the option of killing anyone who threatens them.

READ: The warped history of self-defense law reveals a legacy of privilege

“If someone tries to kill you or beat you or dismember you, return fire and preserve your life,” he recommended. “Let’s reaffirm in our law what exists in our Constitution and the hearts of our fellow Americans. Stand your ground for America. Abolish the legal duty of retreat everywhere.”

Rittenhouse’s attorney recently condemned Gaetz and other Republicans after they offered the acquitted killer internships in Congress.

1 Like

That’s a horrible quote if you are trying to gain broad support for passing a law like this.

7 Likes

No, he didn’t say that’ the author of the story did. Here we go again. :roll_eyes:

The Raw Story is an alternative news site[22][23] and mostly aggregates stories from around the web.[24] A study published by the Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society classified The Raw Story as a “junk news” website,[25] while a 2018 report by the Oxford Internet Institute identified The Raw Story as one of the “Top 30 Junk News Sources on Twitter.”[11] In 2016, DoubleVerify, an ad verification company, included The Raw Story in its “Inflammatory Politics & News” category. Advertisers would have the ability to block ads on websites appearing in the category.[26][27] Journalist Michael Moynihan has referred to The Raw Story as a “conspiracy-friendly” website.[28]

1 Like

What he really said.

Days after Kyle Rittenhouse was found not guilty of murder for defending himself against armed assailants, Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz (R) announced on his “Firebrand” podcast that he would be filing a “National Stand Your Ground” measure in the U.S. Congress.

“You have the right to defend your life from an attacker and that shouldn’t change whether you’re at home, at a friend’s home, or on a stroll. It shouldn’t change whether you’re in Florida or California, or Virginia said, Rep. Gaetz.

Gaetz said that the anti-gun lobby, or “gun-hating Left” the Rittenhouse case and further their anti-gun agenda.

“It clearly backfired,” said Gaetz. The American jury system reaffirmed what most Americans believe. If someone tries to kill you or beat you or dismember you return fire and preserve your life.”

Gaetz then said that Americans should “take advantage of the self-defense verdict, and “reaffirm in law what exists in our constitution and in the hearts of our fellow Americans. Stand your ground for America. abolish the legal duty of retreat everywhere. I’ve had enough retreat, no more.

Florida State Senator Shevrin Jones (R) recently called for “stand your ground laws” to be repealed.

4 Likes

that is right in the middle of the story/article and I did NOT say that… the article did…

how interesting…

that someone would fixate on such a statement in said story/article and try to place the blame on the poster…

I do NOT try to hide anything from stories/articles I post… IMHO that would be disingenuous…

seen your comment before… posted in other threads… at times I get the impression…

some folks on here are actually anti-2A??? perhaps even anti-self defense… which is not really odd…

as there are some folks that truly feel that way…

all the same got to wonder about such folks… and where their head actually is…

AND… think on it some… IMHO

what gives anyone the right to attack or threaten to attack anyone just out for a walk???

such was unthinkable one I was much younger… and the attacker or attackers were dealt with…

harshly…

thinkin what I see happening is a redefinition of basic rights…

for some reason SEEMS like many on the far left want everyone to believe that…

being all bottom injured gives the bottom injured person the right to attack anyone they please???

just because they’re all bottom injured and want to act out like a spoiled child or some such???

whatever happened to our individual right to be left alone and allowed to live our lives???

2 Likes

I’ll offer up Utahs law as a starting point:

(4) Except as provided in Subsection (3)(a)(iii):
(a) an individual does not have a duty to retreat from the force or threatened force described in Subsection (2) in a place where that individual has lawfully entered or remained; and
(b) the failure of an individual to retreat under the provisions of Subsection (4)(a) is not a relevant factor in determining whether the individual who used or threatened force acted reasonably.

For clarity this is the exception:
|(iii)|was the aggressor or was engaged in a combat by agreement, unless the individual withdraws from the encounter and effectively communicates to the other individual the intent to withdraw from the encounter and, notwithstanding, the other individual continues or threatens to continue the use of unlawful force.|

2 Likes

My post was not meant to be a statement on your post. i just quoted a part of the article you posted. I was in the hospital at the time and did not have the time or energy to do due diligence and realize that the article you posted was just click bait trash meant to make people angry. I thought the part showed an actual quote by Gaetz and thought it was a pretty stupid thing to say if you are trying to get people to vote for stand your ground.

I like stand your ground laws for the most part as long as people educate themselves enough to know what rights they actually give and don’t give.

3 Likes

Wow!!! Even I knew what you meant. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

So, you got triggered? Anyone else?

I had no strong emotion over it. Just get frustrated when ignorant people, such as the author of this article, misrepresent laws. But obviously will need to get back to ignoring bogus sources now that I am out of the hospital and my brain can focus again.

3 Likes

If I get this right… are you calling me ignorant? After all I did present this article?

Does that make me the author?

I take exception to the representation that this article misrepresent law…

If it does then the very bases of our laws has changed considerably…

was a time we could take a stroll without fear of attack…

now I see old people getting jumped while shopping for a turkey for thanksgiving…

because why? how is that legal… why are areas of our country seemingly turning a blind eye to such?

given the DA’s that release hardened criminals back into the public area to commit even worse crimes…

murder by vehicle??? Word is a certain very rich person promoted that DA;s election with lots of money…

and the DA is now repaying that money by refusing to protect the people he is supposed to be protecting…

was it not one of the Kennedy’s that said society gets the kind of law enforcement it deserves?

things have changed considerably haven’t they…

yes please ignore my post if they cause such a response…

and Robert Heinlein said this… and IIRC Col. Jeff Cooper sad something similar…

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

please keep in mind I am NOT saying be a vigilante… I’m saying we the people have rights…

and we may have to back those rights up with actions that warn those who would do wrongful things…

if those willing to commit such crimes are made aware that the cost to them could be very high…

they may choose to NOT do those crimes… currently that seems to be reversed in some areas of our nation…

sadly those we elected or get appointed by someone we elected are doing this to us…

Don’t see anywhere that I called you ignorant. I clearly called the author of the article ignorant.

I said this because the author wrote the following statement:

“Gaetz said that gun owners on a “stroll” should have the option of killing anyone who threatens them.”

Not only did Gaetz apparently not say that making his attribution an outright lie but the statement itself is completely false. Stand your ground does not give anyone who feels threatened the right to shoot someone. A person has to be in imminent threat of death or severe bodily injury to themselves or another before they can use deadly force. Stand your ground laws do not change that requirement.

The obvious motivation of this article is to make anti gun folks feel even more threatened by stand your ground laws. There are much better ways of promoting stand your ground than this article.

I will honor your request to ignore your postings from now on since simply stating my opinion on the article you linked to has offended you so greatly. I am here to learn and share the things that I have learned not to fruitlessly argue with other members. Sorry you find my opinion on topics so personally offensive.