My New Training Exercise

Hi all, I’ve came up with a new exercise that I’m really liking. (Exercise because it’s not a “drill”). To me a “drill” is something timed or done with some type of constraint. This on the other hand is like an exercise because you are doing different activities and not timed or given strict parameters.

I don’t have a name for it yet but here goes…

On my range I have 4 (2’x4’) target stands. I staple 6 paper plates on them, 2 on 2 of the stands and 1 on each of the 2 remaining stands. I number the paper plates with large numbers in sharpie placed randomly (not 1, 2, 3…but rather something mixed up like 2, 5, 1, 4…). See attached pic.

I’ve come up with a lot of variations which makes this simple setup very versatile. From 7yrds (or a distance of your choosing), standing in the center, looking at the ground so I’m not memorizing the number order or “planning my first shot”, I’ll either draw from the holster or at low ready and shoot the plates in order of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. So with the plates mounted randomly I have to find the targets in order and engage. Then I put the gun down and “score” myself on the number of hits. Did I rush the first shot? Did I rush all of the shots? Was I way on the outside ring of the plate? Making note of what I need to correct/work on.

Next I’ll do the plates in reverse order (6, 5, 4…) and again, making note of my hit count, shot placement and what I need to work on.

For the next string of shots I’ll move far left, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and then far right, repeat. This part of the exercise moves some targets closer and some further away forcing you to adjust your sight picture. The first shot might be close and reversing the numbers will change that. Again focusing on site picture, target acquisition, timing (cadence, rate of fire) and overall pace and accuracy. You might feel you want to go fast but the targets might tell a different story.

Lastly, I’ll start far right, make my first shot and then engage the rest of the targets while moving to the left. Some numbers might be ahead of me, some directly in front of me and one or two “behind” me as I move right to left. Then I do the same left to right.

If anyone has been counting, that’s 48 shots and a lot of engaged training for a single box of ammo !

But why only 1-6? I feel 6 targets are easy yet engaging enough. Some revolvers or single stack EDC’s only have 6rnds. And the point isn’t to blow through as many rounds as possible but to get as much quality training in as possible. Certainly important these days when ammo is expensive and hard to come by.

Variations –

-Reloads. You can do 6, reload and 6 more or 3 and 3 or mix up so the reload surprises you.

-To get the mind really working instead of 1-6 or 6-1, do odds then evens (1, 3, 5, 2, 4, 6), evens then odds…

-Move the distance out. If 7yrds are too easy for you, move out to 10yrds.

-Instead of left to right/right to left move towards the targets or backing away from the targets.

-One handed, strong hand. One handed, weak hand.

-Do a longer string of fire like double tap or round robin (1-6-1)

-Add more targets! Go 8 or 10 paper plates.

-Add calisthenics, do some jumping jacks or run in place to get your heart rate up first

Shooting paper can be boring but this will add some fun and help with skills too.

Sheridan

8 Likes

Thanks you, Sheridan for sharing this with us. Looks like a great exercise. WORTH trying out.

2 Likes

If I do something like this for 5 days straight I could start carrying appendix more comfortable. :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Hasn’t worked for me LOL

3 Likes

Sounds and looks like an el Presidente on steroids and meth!
You could call it the Anarchist, Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper would definitely be proud!

4 Likes

Sounds like a great exercise. Will definitely be trying this out.

2 Likes