Moving from Texas to Michigan

My son will potentially be moving from Texas to Michigan in the near future. Any advice on how to handle his pistol with the move. I read online something about registering it with the local Sheriff. However, what I am reading all seems a bit vague. Any advice on how to handle this?

thanks

Brady

3 Likes

Info here. :slightly_smiling_face: Welcome to our community.

Michigan Concealed Carry Handgun Laws | USCCA Reciprocity Map(Last Updated 05/18/2021) (usconcealedcarry.com)

HANDGUN REGISTRATION?

Do handguns need to be registered in Michigan? Although there is no firearm registry, all handgun sales require a Pistol Sales Record (RI-60) form to be filed with the Michigan State Police. There are several exceptions including, but not limited to, police officers.

The best thing to do is to call the County Sheriff where he will be residing.

5 Likes

were about is going to land at?
hope he has warm clothes

Mike

9 Likes

@Brady_Charles First welcome to the community :us:. Michigan requires a carry permit, don’t worry the state is a shall issue State. Michigan also has the open carry law but I Really Don’t Suggest It.
Depending on where you are moving in Michigan is where you will take your (short) cpl class, just call around to some gun shops, some of them put on classes . Hope that helps. :us: :us: :us:

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Brady_Charles, and what a culture and climate shock! What drove you to make such a drastic move?!! I’m originally from Michigan. One thing is for sure; you will definitely get four distinct seasons. No ambiguity when winter sets in, none whatsoever mind you! Prep well, my friend. Prep well.

4 Likes

Sales record applies everywhere but that’s for the FFL mainly.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Brady_Charles is there something in Michigan drawing your son there, kidnapping a Gov?:wink:
Traveling by car or plane? Each should be relatively simple.

3 Likes

Northport, but not 100% yet. Will have to figure out the warm clothes for sure.

3 Likes

He is graduating from college and has a potential job lead there. Does not 100% have the job yet. Just looking to be ready if it comes through. We will see how it goes if it happens. Thanks for the advice.

3 Likes

We would be driving, so not worried about taking it on a plane. His pistol will mainly be for home defense. My main concern is I don’t want him jammed up just for having it in his home because we failed to do something simple we did not realize we needed to do. Being from Texas I am not aware of all the hoops that other states make you jump through. Don’t want to get caught with our pants down.

thanks

4 Likes

Nice area there
rather expensive to live around Travers City
great hunting and fishing in the area

2 Likes

Well, I wish the best for you and your family, and hope that your son’s new experiences there is all that he hopes, need, and look forward to them being. I do agree with the other posters; tap into the local SD/PD and grab a hold of the statute. Stay safe and God speed. :muscle: :+1:

3 Likes