New Purchase Registration Michigan

Purchased a pistol in November 2021. May of 2022 pistol registration form was returned because dealer did not put a date on it. Recently purchased another pistol and dealer suggested I keep my copy of registration with me for 6 months and a photo on my phone for 1 year.
Based on my personal experience, and the dealers suggestion our local sheriffs dept is behind on there paperwork. It would be nice to receive some verification from Sheriffs Dept. that your firearm is legally registered. Its known there is a back log due to covid and firearm sales are up. Personally I’m carrying sales record for the gun I’m carrying. Would like to know what the repercussions would be if sales record was not recorded yet. Also would like to see a change made to the system to prevent any law abiding citizens from going to jail or losing there weapon temporarily. Nobody wants this headache.

3 Likes

Registration? Wow, that is tyrannical. Not many states have firearm registries. Need to get the state firearm groups to lobby against that nonsense. As you pointed out, the only issue is that, you, a law-abiding citizen, is in violation of their incompetent paperwork handling. That does nothing to make you or anyone else safer.

3 Likes

What better way to limit handgun owners than have “our local sheriffs dept is behind on there paperwork”. They always seem to have enough staff to man DUI Check points and speed traps but they just don’t seem to have the ability to get enough people to process gun registrations. I’m certainly glad we don’t have any requirements like that around here.

5 Likes

They went to the “ATF academy” to learn their business practice no doubt :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I wonder why they are behind on THEIR paperwork.

1 Like

Maybe THEIR paperwork is lost.

1 Like

From what I understand most police departments are short staffed. Honestly believe there is less DUI checkpoints and speed traps too. A large number of officers retired with the political movements happening, I don’t blame them.

1 Like

Contact your state reps and your governor. If you are not part of your state-level firearm rights group join and get active.

A quick search I found more than several for you to research. There may be more. Talk to people at your local gun shop and gun range.

Great Lakes Gun Rights
Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gunowners
Michigan Gun Owners
Michigan Open Carry, Inc.